Radioactive

Hyerin cowered behind a wall to hide, as that was what Kyungsoo instructed for her to do, all the while taking peeks to see what was going on. She knew something was about to happen when Kyungsoo told her to go, but she was not going to leave him just like that. Whatever it was that was going to happen, she was going to be there to back him up.

Nothing much was happening between the two, though the tension in the air unsettled her. No way was Kyungsoo going to make TOP slip out of his grasp. He would take the opportunity to finish the man once and for all.

Her predictions were right. Kyungsoo made the first move by pushing TOP, sending him flying to the edge of the rooftop where he unfortunately managed to hang on. Hyerin continued to watch as Kyungsoo furiously stomped his way towards TOP.

She couldn’t see anything at this point except for Kyungsoo’s back, though it seemed like the two were spouting words at each other. She heard TOP’s grunt at one point, making her think that Kyungsoo finally killed him. She was proven wrong when she heard Kyungsoo’s blood curdling scream a couple of seconds after.

With panic and worry clouding her mind, Hyerin sprinted out of her hiding spot and ran over to Kyungsoo who still had his back turned to her, now standing on his knees. As she neared the boy, she saw that TOP was nowhere to be found. Instead, a growing pool of blood was collecting under Kyungsoo’s knees.

“Kyungsoo!” Hyerin exclaimed when she finally reached the boy. “Kyungsoo where’s-”

Her voice caught in her throat as she saw the gruesome sight before her. Kyungsoo was half-grunting half-sobbing, face flustered and right hand missing. The blood he was kneeling on was his own.

“Oh shit,” Hyerin whispered, face growing paler and paler by the second. “Oh shit. Shit. Shit.”

There was no time to think. Hyerin reacted fast and took off her sweatshirt, kneeled in front of Kyungsoo, and started applying pressure on the amputated area.

“I-It’s going to be alright,” she reassured, voice shaking as she tied the jacket around his arm tightly. “It’s going to be alright.”

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth, opening and closing his eyes repeatedly in a poor attempt to appear calm. “M-My hand…”

“Shh, it’s okay,” Hyerin muttered, securing the jacket before reaching up to her earpiece only to find out it’s not there. Thinking it must have accidentally dropped during the outbreak, she fished out her phone from her pocket and with bloodied hands, dialed Kris’ number.

“My h-hand,” Kyungsoo mumbled, jaw clenched. “My hand, he…h-he c-cut it off. He cut it off, Hyerin, he cut it off-”

“I know, I know.” She nodded, pressing the phone against her ear and holding the boy close. He was shaking for some reason and it made her so scared she was starting shake herself. “It’s going to be alright. You’re going to be okay.

“A-Am I going to die?” he asked, hyperventilating.

“No, you’re not,” she said, although she wasn’t sure of that. “It’s just a hand, you’ll be fine,” she said as calmly as she could.

Finally, Kris answered after the sixth ring.

“Hello?” Kris said, gunshots heard in the background.

“Kris!” Hyerin exclaimed. “Kris you need to come here right now! Kyungsoo lost his hand and he’s bleeding and I don’t know what to do!”

Kris was silent for a moment, probably trying to absorb the unfortunate news before speaking again. “Okay. I’ll be right there. Where are you at?”