The Ultimate Lie

Darkness is a strange thing, Baekhyun realized as he sat alone in a chair just outside the room where his former fellow agents were held hostage.

Darkness. Many things happen in the dark, like murder or lovemaking, but even though these two usually occur in the unfathomable blackness, they do not belong to it.

It is not for murder or lovemaking; in fact, it is for the lonely.

Baekhyun shifted in his uncomfortable seat as he looked around him, surrounded, as well, with pitch black. It was the first time in a long time he felt the solitary feeling of being in the dark, the feeling of isolation and curiosity, wondering what's out there and when the light was coming back.

He hated the dark, naturally because he was a soldier of light, though ironically there wouldn't be light if there wasn't darkness. This was the reason why he had been thinking so hard about it, whether he was dark or light, neither or both. He was both, but he couldn't stand the sight of nothing, so he would much rather think he was light.

As he blankly stared down on the floor, Baekhyun lightly snapped his fingers together, emitting a little spark of light then disappearing as quickly as it came, similar to turning on a lighter to smoke though it didn't really turn on, just lighting up from the friction of metal against metal.

He snapped his fingers again, releasing the same spark. The room was too dark for him.

He clasped his hands together, slowly making circular motions until a little wisp of translucent electric blue light started forming in between his palms. It grew bigger and bigger, and when it transformed into a little ball, Baekhyun tossed it up into the air, gently hitting the low ceiling above and casting the room the light that it so badly needed.

Baekhyun then realized now with his sight back, that he was with four other men in guard duty. At the very end of the room to the right, two Immitis gang members had their heads leaned back and mouths open wide as they slept. To the left, one of Jiyong's black-clad Xinths blinked furiously, obviously startled by the sudden appearance of light. Lastly, right across from him a couple of feet away, TOP also sat in a chair, awake and alert as ever, as he had his eyes directly on Baekhyun, not flinching even once from the blinding brightness.

Baekhyun blinked at him a couple of times. "Sorry."

"Leave it," TOP muttered in his low, gruff voice. "Why aren't you asleep?"

"I'm not supposed to," he replied. "I'm on duty."

"Good," he commented. "If you were, I would have slit your throat. Lucky for these two bastards I haven't killed them yet," he said, talking about the two gang members fast asleep at the corner of the room.

Baekhyun nodded, mentally reminding himself to never close his eyes for more than a minute in front of TOP.

"What about you?" Baekhyun started. "Why aren't you asleep?"

"To keep guard, as well."

"But I'm already here."

"I'm not here to watch over them," TOP deadpanned. "I'm here to watch over you."

Baekhyun was left speechless as TOP continued. "As someone who just switched from the other side, naturally everyone would keep an eye on you."

"I would never betray Jiyong," he said in his defense.

"But you were able to do it to your friends."

"I had no choice. I was forced to or Jiyong would kill my whole family and then kill me. I would like myself and my family to live longer and if that's what it takes then so be it," he explained in one breath. "And they're not my friends."