Their Lives

"What an amazing hit right there!" the announcer's voice boomed throughout the field. "Player number twelve Kim Jongin hits a home run, everybody! Wow!" He cheered along with the many Yeongnam High School students as the said player abandoned his baseball bat and ran through the bases until he reached the last one. With that, everyone shouted with joy and jumped in their seats.

"I am proud to present to you this season's winning team for the District Baseball Championships, the Yeongnam Tigers!"

The team then lunged at their star player, Number Twelve, and gave him playful punches and excited hugs.

"We won! We fucking won!" Number Five exclaimed, jumping around the field. "And you're the culprit, you bastard Jongin!"

Said boy laughed at his teammate. "You're welcome, Jaesuk," he said, heading back inside their quarters. "And by the way, it's Kai," he pointed out. Jaesuk snickered, shaking his head good-naturedly at the boy.

The cheering never stopped even as Kai was walking across the field to leave. He wearily took off his baseball cap, sweeping his dark, wet hair to the side and successfully making some freshman girls at the bleachers squeal excitedly at the sight. He took notice of that and waved at them with an airy grin.

When he got inside the quarters, he was greeted by a large pair of arms tackling him.

His eyes widened with surprise as his two friends excitedly shouted at his ear.

"Dude, that was awesome!"

Kai raised a brow, unbuttoning his baseball uniform. "What? I can't hear you." he shouted over the cheering crowd.

"I said you were awesome out there!" the tall one exclaimed.

"What!?" 

"You killed it out there, man!" the other one with the round cheeks said.

"Huh!?" he asked, playfully furrowing his eyebrows.

"You did great!" they shouted in unison.

"Ohhh." Kai nodded slowly, his mouth forming an 'O' as if finally understanding what they were saying. "Right. Sorry. I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am," he cockily said, referring to the loud hoots of the people outside. With that, he earned a few playful punches on the arm from the two.

The three of them exited the quarters and headed towards the locker room while still conversing about the game.

"Did you guys just come from practice?" Kai asked, finishing the contents of his water bottle. "How are the new players in the basketball team, Chanyeol?"

The tall one looked up from his phone. "A pain in the ass. I still can't believe coach let them in the team. Like, some of them can't even do a proper layup." He sighed in frustration. "Xiumin here saw some of them, right?"

The chubby-faced boy nodded. "Yeah, but not compared to our soccer team. Our defense is going to be pretty weak this year, I guess." He shrugged. "But hey, they still have me and a couple of seniors," he added smugly.

Kai abruptly looked over to Chanyeol's side. "Wait, where's-"

"Still at the gym, working out," Xiumin said, knowing exactly who Kai was referring to. "Seriously, that guy has a major obsession with training."

"We should go pick him up on the way to class then," Chanyeol said, putting away his phone.

"Not until we shower and change, though," Kai said, suddenly running away from the two. "Last one to the locker room has a limp dick!"