Chapter 8: Strange victory (Part 1)

Really long chapter....

But guys, I don't want you to think that the story is moving too quickly, because it's not. I might be up to chapter eight, but most of the chapters are seperated in two, so it's like I'm up to chapter 16..sort of. I like to think that the novel is well paced; right?

Picture: Brenton Thwaites as Tanner Preston

Song: Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down

Chapter 8: Strange victory

            Day Walker Code 067- Establish your superiority 

Tanner

            Maria practically lived in Tanner’s room now. It had been over a month since they’d discovered their abilities, and his twin still didn’t want to leave his side, even though he’d tried to push her away many, many times. One of the main reasons that he liked school was because he didn’t have to be with Maria 24/7. Now, not only did they have the same classes, but they also slept in the same room, but not together that would be crossing the line; even if they had done it one time so far this year.

His sister had secretly gotten all of her stuff transferred to his room so that she didn’t always have to constantly go get her things in her own dorm. Gwen just assumed that they wanted “intimate time together”; at least this time she was keeping her mouth shut about it. The last thing he and his sister needed was for the whole school to think that once again they were an “together”. Maria was so desperate to stay by his side that she even slept on the floor so that she wouldn’t get kicked out. She even cleaned once and a while—which he didn’t mind at all; with both of them sharing a room it got pretty messy. Sometimes, his twin ate lunch with him, and spent her free time with him. Jonas and Dylan didn’t ask questions, which Tanner was grateful for because he didn’t really want to answer them either. Viola just contented herself with a few mean comments towards his sister, but Maria always found some cruel way to shut her up for a few minutes before everything started all over again. He still hadn’t told anyone about his or her new powers yet, except for Hayden, who had been showing herself incredibly distant the pass month. Tanner had tried talking to her many times because he hadn’t really cared about what his sister had said to him about being a disgrace to Day Walker kind; but Hayden didn’t seem to want to have anything to do with anymore; it annoyed him to no end. Tanner wasn’t used to having a girl ignore him, they usually jumped on him at every chance they got. So, for the moment, Tanner assumed that the Night Walker was either lesbian, or was suffering from some sort of mental disease. It was way better to think that than the thought of not being able to attract the opposite sexe anymore.

            It was combat class. A lot of the Day Walkers ditched this class because the Nights kept whooping their behinds and they didn’t like to be humiliated. Tanner had to admit, the night vampires were much better warriors, even though they’d lost the war a few decades ago, and the one before that, and the one before that, and of course, the one before that as well. To say the least, it had not really been fair fights because the Day Walkers could slaughter them in day light while they slept, making the Nights burn in the sun. But these days, the day vampires of this generation had become lazy and not a lot of them could fight, despite the obligated fighting classes. The Night Walkers on the other hand, seemed to have redeemed themselves and were obviously desperate to prove it.  “You want continue thinking that your kind is the best, fine I don’t care, and frankly I’m probably not the only one. Want to know why our kind hates you Days so much? It’s because we’re tired, sick of being the under dogs, slaves even. We live in one same world, and for some reason we can’t have our part in it, and we try really hard to.” The conversation that he had with Hayden a month ago suddenly rang back into his mind; he did his best to ignore it.Tanner thought that it was actually fun to fight Nights, it was a better challenge. Besides, this was the one class were it was okay to pick fights with everyone, just as long as they didn’t get too carried away. Unlike Humanas, Walkers were allowed to fight girls because they were just as strong and fast as boys, if not better, and no one held back or objected to that. Well, the Day Walkers didn’t; Tanner knew for a fact that it was illegal for a girl Night to go to war; he didn’t really understand why because oddly enough the females better than the male Nights.