Chapter 6: Dreaming wide awake (Part 2)

Still Maria's point of view. Read on!

Picture: Kendall Jenner as Maria Preston

Song: Monster by Imagine Dragons

Every period seemed to make her head hurt even more. The worse it got, the more determined Maria had been to stay in class. It had been like a challenge, and Maria loved challenges. Between classes, she would go hide where there was almost or no noise at all. Her favourite spot had been a janitor’s closet at the other end of the school. Along the day she had heard vampires talk about Tanner being sick and sleeping in the boys’ dorm bathroom. Some Walkers had come to see her to ask her if he was okay, but she hadn’t really known how to answer them, because she had no clue what exactly had been going on with him either. Maria had still been relieved to know that her twin was also suffering from side effects from the previous night’s ritual.

It had been during the before last period of the night that everything had gone wrong. It was French class, and the teacher was an old Night Walker, Mr. Beauchamp. The old man hadn’t done anything bad, he had just been talking. But to Maria, he seemed to be screaming, and it had made her head hurt even more. The vampires that had been sitting in the back of her wouldn’t stop whispering to each other, which had made her ach even more. Some Walkers just kept playing with their pens or pencils, some were drawing, and others were listening to music during class. She had been able to detect the slightest noise anyone had been making, and it had made her head hurt even more. There had just been noise, noise and even more noise! All Maria had wanted to do at that point was just to make everything stop, or maybe if the teacher would be quiet she would have been making progress. But the Night Walker just kept talking and talking. Maria had tried plugging her ears, but it had been to use, the ruckus still found its way into her skull. She had looked at the time, only to discover that she had only been in class for barely twenty minutes. Exasperated she had then looked out the tainted black window; and she wished that she could be outside, in the quiet; even if it was night she didn’t care; at this time no one would’ve been there talking, playing, banging, running, or anything else that finished with ing. And just like that, in a blink of an eye, the window that she had been looking at had shattered into a million pieces of glass. The glass seemed to fly across the classroom and had been heading directly towards Mr. Beauchamp. The pieces then had pierced directly through the old man’s body, including his heart and head. One moment he had been standing, and then the next he had been lying flat down on the ground, his black blood soaking floor. Most of the students had panicked and had immediately left the classroom, as some had gone to go get help from other teachers, and many other students had just been happy to get out of class early. Maria on the other hand, had been in total shock. Was he dead? Had she done that? She then realized that her head ach was gone, which scared her even more. She had run out the classroom; no one had cared or paid any attention to her exiting, everyone had already been leaving. Maria had run across campus to the Day Walker boy dorm. She had looked in the boys’ bathroom, but Tanner wasn’t there anymore. She had then hurried to his dorm room and knocked on the door, hoping that he would be there, she was somewhat convinced that he would know what to do.

“It’s called telekinesis.” Tanner said to her after she finished telling her story.

Maria was sitting on his bed and her twin was on the floor facing her. He had been listening patiently while she talked. Wasn’t he supposed to be sick? He looked perfectly fine. Faker, Maria briefly thought.

“It’s the ability to move objects with your mind.” Her brother explained. “That’s why your head was hurting so much until your broke the window.”