Chapter 13: Bloody secret (Part 1)

New chapter! The book ends at chapter 20, so start counting down!

Picture: Michelle Trachtenberg as Hayden Brooks

Song: Team by Lorde

Chapter 13- Bloody secret

Night Walker Code 098- If a Dimidium-Lamia comes your way, kill it.

Hayden

            She was furious! What was wrong with him!? He’d almost kissed her, right there on the dance floor; they were so close, so close. But now he suddenly hates her? What kind of game was he playing? Hayden didn’t have much time to think about it because suddenly all the lights in the school went out. There was a moment of silence, as everyone waited for them to turn back on, but they didn’t. Day Walkers then started to scream because of the darkness and Hayden didn’t blame them; the dark had come some quickly and so suddenly that at first she even had problems seeing, but not for long of course. Had the loud music caused the electricity to jump? It was quite possible; as she looked at the window she saw that there were no more lights on anywhere.

Even though she was extremely mad at Tanner, Hayden still decided to go and help him. She did owe him after the shark fiasco. She was able to locate him outside the cafeteria; he was trying to get back inside using the walls to guide him.

She grabbed Tanner’s arm. “Hayden?” He asked confused.

            “Yeah, it’s me.” She meanly responded, letting go out his arm and grabbing his hand to drag him. “C’mon let’s get out of here, before anything weirder happens.” 

            “Wait” Tanner said as he stopped walking, bringing her to a halt also. “My sister.”

            “I’ll come back and look for her.” Hayden replied in a hurry. “Come on we need to go.” A lot of vampires were running out of the cafeteria and Hayden didn’t feel like being caught up in the Walker stampede. Where were the teachers? Had the dance been completely unsupervised? Something strange was happening.

 “Ouch!” Tanner snapped when Hayden accidentally walked him into a wall because she had not been paying attention. “Brooks!” There it was again, his dislikeable, unwanted Day Walker attitude. Tanner was most likely going to be mad at her for the rest of evening now. Maybe she should have just let him get run over by the vampire herd.

Hayden turned the corner, making sure that Tanner was beside her so he wouldn’t get hurt again, when she finally saw the exit of the building. She made a face, lights had suddenly appeared out of nowhere at the end.

“Do you see that?” She asked Tanner as they got closer to the lights.

“Yeah.” He answered a little concerned, and Hayden understood why. The lights were rotating colors of red and blue.

They eventually made it outside in one piece, where their doubts were confirmed At the exterior of the school waiting for the students to come out were over a dozen Humana police officers, their car lights were on and their guns where pointed at them. They probably turned off the electricity, Hayden thought. Where were the teachers!? Not even the Headmasters were present.

“Do you see that?” She asked Tanner as they got closer to the lights.

“Yeah.” He answered a little concerned, and Hayden understood why. The lights were rotating colors of red and blue.

 “Put your hands up were we can see ‘em!” A police officer shouted.

Neither Tanner nor Hayden obeyed to the man’s orders. Even if the Mortalis shot them, the bullets wouldn’t be able to kill them, not unless she and Tanner were very low on blood or the bullets were made out of black diamond or gold.

Hayden looked around and noticed that none of the students that came out of the school had put their hands up as either. She noticed Cole, standing not far from the police cars with his new delinquent group of friends. He had that look on his face, one that Hayden knew all too well: hunger. She squeezed Tanner’s arm. The Day Walker looked in the direction she was looking; the police cars were giving enough light so he could see, he noticed Cole rather quickly. The next thing she knew, Tanner had pulled his way out of her hold, Cole had leaped over the cars and was going to attack a police officer, but before he could reach him, Tanner had gotten a hold of the Night Walker and pushed him hard against the nearest car. Cole’s friends were suddenly on the move as well and going to attack Tanner, but there were suddenly five of him. The policeman then started to react, some were shouting orders, others were talking urgently into their walky-talkies and some were trying to get a decent aim on one of the fighting Walkers. A lot of vampires soon joined into the fight, Day Walkers fighting Nights, Night Walkers fighting Days all while trying to suck the blood out of the Humanas. Hayden was about to join the chaos, but then stayed were she was on the steps of the school. This was the cafeteria fiasco all over again, but only this time she wasn’t going to let herself get involved. Instead, she decided to sit down and watch the show that was before her; Walkers didn’t get to enjoy these events a lot.

Vampires were lifting cars up, some policemen were crying, others were screaming for their life and unfortunately some officers were dead. It soon became clear to Hayden as she watched the fight that almost no one wanted to feed off the Humanas; they were just there as an excuse so that the Days and Nights could try to kill each other once more, and sadly, the Mortalis’ were in their way.

A man was crawling up the steps were Hayden was sitting. One side of his face was covered in blood, he reached out to her; he was missing a finger.

            “Please help me.” He begged, tears in his eyes.

His soul had nothing special to it, he was nothing special; just an average looking man in his forties. But what if he had a family? What if— no, she wasn’t even going to start sympathising. Hayden had to deal with these thoughts every time she killed someone, but she needed to learn to ignore them and just get the act over with. But she wasn't able. So, she simply got up and went to sit somewhere else, just as a Night Walker grabbed the man and buried her fangs into his neck. She looked away.

            Still watching the fight, Hayden suddenly felt a presence behind her; she turned around only to find her twin sister crying.

“Aria” Hayden said getting up to hug her. “Are you okay? Are you hurt? What’s wrong?"

Her sister immediately pushed her away and in seconds her face turned into pure anger. “Does it matter!?” Her twin exclaimed. “Why don’t you try to lock lips with Tanner again, then we’ll talk!”

Hayden backed away. Had her twin really seen it all? Then Hayden realized that maybe a Day and Night Walker almost making kissing on the dance floor would certainly attract a lot of attention.

Once again, very quickly, Aria’s face expression changed.  “I’m so sorry; I don’t why I said that. I’m so mean! I” Then her face was back to anger once more. “It’s your fault! You did this!” Aria screamed.

Hayden felt an abrupt change inside of her, as if her emotions were trying to shift but weren’t being successful; she at her sister. “Ari” She said to her. “We need to go find Mrs. Hail, now.” She didn’t wait for her twin’s response; Hayden grabbed her arm and dragged her inside the dark school.

            Stepping inside the darkness, Hayden suddenly remembered the promise that she made to Tanner about finding his sister. Now that it occurred to her, she hadn’t seen Maria come out of the school.

            “Damn!” Hayden muttered letting go of her twin’s hand and started to run down the halls, Aria following her closely.

Cliffhanger! Haha, I'll try an update soon ;)

Vote and comment