Chapter 2: Children of the Moon (Part 2)

Here's the other part! Read on!

Picture: Michelle Trachtenberg as Hayden Brooks

Song: Fighter by Christina Aguilara

Hayden 

Evander wasn’t going to be happy; she barely got any sleep last night, and when she by miracle did, she’d gotten nightmares. So when three in the afternoon came and she needed to get up, Hayden was dead tired. Her legs were sore from all the running the night before, and her face was killing her. Still, she made herself get out of bed, forced herself to get dressed and look decent. She heard Aria banging around in the kitchen; at least her sister was nice and awake. Hayden was sure that she still had a few bruises on her face from the beating that she had gotten last night, but hopefully it would heal before her friends showed up. Cole had once seen her dad hit her, but hadn’t done anything because he had been too paralyzed, well or so he said. Evander on the other hand, when he’d seen Collin hit her, her friend hit him back instantly. Her father hadn’t laid a hand on her for a week after that; it had been one of the best weeks of her life.

“Not so fun, is it Bitch?” He’d said to Collin.

At the time they might have been about fourteen, but she’d been so grateful to Evander ever since, because he had been the only one that had ever stood up for her; way more than necessary even. That was why he was her best guy friend. Now, Collin didn’t even speak to her whenever she had friends around, which was a sort of improvement.

Hayden slowly made her way downstairs, and entered the kitchen; she had the shock of her life to find a gigantic moose on the kitchen table, and Aria standing behind it.

“Woah” Hayden said to her sister as she examined the moose. “Did you catch that?” Aria had the hunting skills of a three year old; so Hayden knew that if her twin responded yes, she would be lying.

 “Yeah” Her sister answered; Hayden eyed her. “But, I shot it with Dad’s gun.” Aria quickly explained. That made much more sense, Hayden thought. “I’ve been up since noon; I was hungry and I couldn’t sleep.”

“Because of the school change?” Hayden guessed while pocking the moose, looking for the part where the most blood circulation had been.

Aria nodded. “I can’t believe they’re putting us in the same school has Days; has the Council gone crazy? And why would the Government approve it?”

“They’re not crazy Aria, they’re just doing what they think is right.” Hayden objected. “And remember the ritual yesterday; what it showed us? You saw how they all argued; I guess that in the end, the decision came down to the Head Masters if they were willing to agree to it or not.”

“So the principals are crazy?” Her twin commented.

“Yeah, sure, let’s go with that.” Hayden agreed.

They then both sucked out the blood of the moose, and after got rid of the carcase so that the rest of the family wouldn’t whine that they hadn’t gotten any. Around four o’clock, Callista and Cole showed up. Her boyfriend instantly noticed her face, which sadly hadn’t healed fast enough.

“Hayden you really need to stop provoking him.” He eventually said to her, as they walked out the door and towards the Chriss house.

“Cole, it’s not always my fault, sometimes Collin just hits me for no reason.” Hayden responded, not really wanting to have this conversation, especially with him. “Besides, you’re never there to help.” She mumbled, not sure if he’d heard her.