Part I - New and wrong - Chapter 1: Unfairness (Part 1)

I have waited a really long time to post this story. I've been working on it for three years. I really, really hope you all like it!  Most chapters are separated into two parts because I know a lot of people can get discouraged by the number of pages chapters sometimes have. So enjoy!

Picture: Kendall Jenner as Maria Preston.

Song: Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson

Read on now!

Part I - New and wrong

Chapter 1: Unfairness

Day Walker Code 010- Blend into the Mortalis world as if you were one of them

Maria 

      The summer had turned out to be a lot shorter than Maria Preston had expected; not that she was complaining. She was sitting on her long green chair putting tan lotion on beside the pool at her parents’ summer beach house, and was watching her older twin brother Tanner attempted to fix the diving board that he had broken the day before. He had the brilliant idea to have a pool party while their mother and father were away on a cruise somewhere in the Caribbean. Their parents were coming back this afternoon from their “vacation”, and Tanner had already cleaned up everything; the only problem was the diving board. Tanner was in the pool under the remaining part of it, with tools in his hands; Maria doubted that he even knew how to use them; she and her brother mostly got by on their good looks and their parents’ money.

 “Why don’t you just ask Hector to fix it?” Maria asked her brother after a while, as she put the tan lotion down and put her sunglasses on. She secretly hoped that maybe if she kept putting on tan lotion, her skin wouldn’t be so pale. “The whole point of having groundskeepers and maids is so that they do the work, not us.” She paused as she waited for him to answer; when he didn’t she continued. “Personally, I don’t think they should even be called maids, if it was up to me, they would still be slaves.”

            Her twin then looked up at her seeming rather irritated.  “Look, if I ask Hector to fix it, then he’ll want to know how I broke it, and then when I explain it to him, he’ll just go and tell Dad.” He answered as if she were the most clueless person in the world. “Not that he would care.” Tanner mumbled in regard of their father.

            “You had a party yesterday; you don’t think Hector already called them?” Maria replied, ignoring the comment about their dad. The maids had had the night off, and Hector had to stay to “supervise” them; it hadn’t gone very well.  

Looking closer at the diving board, the end of it looked as if it had been ripped off by someone; which, Maria thought, was probably the case. Tanner sometimes had a short temper, or was that just with her? Besides, if it hadn’t been him that broke the board, it had probably been one of his idiot friends; they were really no better than he was. 

“How did you break it, anyway?” She wanted to know as she rubbed her long legs with the tan lotion.

“Jonas wanted to see if it was possible for a Walker to break a diving board when we jump.” He simply answered without meeting her gaze, concentrating on his task. “So I told him to give it a try, and turns out its possible. We might have just made a scientific discovery while being stupid.”

 “Seriously, Tanner?” Maria replied baffled lifting her sunglasses up over her eyes. “We’re vampires; of course we can break a diving board if we jump hard enough. And by the way, I doubt that’s a scientific discovery. Although, I do believe about you and your friends being stupid, you’re like that 24/7 it must have rubbed off on them by now.” Did she sound a little too sarcastic? She didn’t think so; Maria wouldn’t really qualify herself as a snobby person.