Chapter 19: Begging for mercy (Part 2)

I've got nothing to say, so please read, I insist.

Picture: Black diamond (not the cheese)

Song: If Today Was Your Last Day by Nickleback

Tanner  

The bullet didn’t keep him down for long; he was a Walker after all. If the bullet had been made out of black diamond, it could have probably killed him. But this one had just been a plain and ordinary Mortalis one, nothing to worry about. Tanner had been ready to snap the neck of the Humana that had fired it, until he got back up on his feet and realized that it would be a lot more complicated than he’d thought. It wasn’t a Mortalis that had shot him; it was Cole Ross.

What was he doing here? Where had he come from? The Night Walker had been missing for nearly two weeks and now had suddenly returned with a Humana gun? What kind of mess had Tanner gotten himself into now?!

“Surprised to see me Preston?” Cole asked taking a step closer, still pointing the gun at him, seeming rather sure of himself.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t.” Tanner answered looking at the vampire. Cole looked a lot thinner as if he hadn’t eaten or drank anything in a long time. He looked very tired as well, as if he hadn’t slept either. “What happened to you?” He asked the Night Walker.

They were walking in circles around one another, watching their opponents every move; waiting for the other one to attack. “You don’t like my new look?” Cole asked with a senile smile.

“I didn’t like the old one either.” Tanner replied with a smirk, making Cole’s smile disappear. “Can you tell me what the hell is going on now?”

The night vampire smiled yet again. “Well” Cole responded matching his tone. “I suppose that because I’m about to kill you, it wouldn’t hurt to reveal a few little things before you die.”

Kill me? You can try. Tanner thought but didn’t say.

Tanner could have killed the Night Walker the day of the big fight in the cafeteria, if Hayden hadn’t gotten to her ex-boyfriend first. He could have also killed him the night of Halloween, if Cole hadn’t decided to run away. So now was officially the time to get it done because the only that was between them was snow and a gun.

“The night I left school, I got captured by the Half-Breeds.” Cole begun; Tanner resisted the urge to laugh. The Night Walker had escaped, only to end up being captured by things worse than the Walker government. That took talent. “They were about to kill me when I decided to make a deal with them. I said that I could get the Humanas to believe that there was some sort of terrorist activity going on at the school, so the Dimidiums’ could take control of the campus and take as many Walkers as they wanted prisoners to eat them; in exchanged for my freedom. I needed to wait a while of course, because the Mortalis needed to observe the school and so on.” Cole smiled cruelly again. “Apparently, the Mortalis were actually smart enough to realise we were vampires; maybe they aren’t as dumb as we thought. So right now, as we speak Preston, the school is probably in total chaos.”

“But why are you here Cole?” Tanner asked him, suddenly worried for his friends at Walker High. “You got your freedom. So why come all the way back here just to kill me?”

“I always finish what I start Preston. Always. “And with that said, before he could even move, Cole shot Tanner.

The bullet hit him directly in the stomach; the Day Walker couldn’t help but scream. The bullet wasn’t an ordinary Mortalis one, it was black diamond. How could Cole have gotten a hold of that!? Tanner felt his blood gush out of his stomach, as he fell onto the cold snow. He had trouble breathing, and the pain was almost blinding.