Chapter 19: Begging for mercy (Part 1)

We're so close to the end! Come on people we can do it!

Picture: Bootprint in snow

Song: Airplanes by B.O.B Featuring Hayley Williams

Chapter 19: Begging for mercy

Night Walker Code 013 - We only challenge Day Walkers if we feel threatened

Aria

She decided that while she was still mad at her sister that it might finally be time to go hunting. Maybe now that she was angry, it would her skills would improve. It felt good to be alone in the cold darkness of the woods. It was probably getting close to seven thirty pm; the sky was all cloudy and dark and rain was probably coming soon. She was supposed to be starting third period, but right now, school didn’t seem very important and oddly enough she was doing pretty well at hunting. So far, she’d caught five pigeons all on her own. A new personal record; she felt proud.

Aria was attempting to track a female dear, when she suddenly heard voices in the distance. She knew that it couldn’t be Night Walker; because the main rule when hunting was to talk as silently as possible or not talk at all, to not scare the animals away, these voices however were far from whispering. Probably Day Walkers, she thought, resuming her tracking. She then remembered that Day Walkers didn’t hunt; Maria had probably been the biggest exception of all vampire kind.

With a sigh, Aria left the dear followed the sound of the loud voices. She took her time walking through the woods, but still was careful to not break a branch of trip over hidden rocks.

Eventually, she saw flashing lights in the distance; red and blue lights. She hurried behind a tree, and looked into the distance. At first she couldn’t really believe her eyes, because right in front of her were policemen and army vehicles all gathered up in the woods. Immediately, she started asking herself questions. How is that possible? What are they doing here? What happened? What did we do!?

At the Halloween party, the Humana presence had been understandable; the music had been way too loud and had caused attention before of that. People from the other side of the country had probably heard it. But now? What had they done now? They hadn’t done anything to draw attention to the school…hadn’t they?

Aria tried to use her vampire hearing to focus on what the commander was saying into his walky-talky. “…alright throw the other four in, round up the suckers and we’ll call it a day.” He said to the person on the other end.

Throw in what? Round up who?

She asked herself. Her questions were quickly answered when exactly four loud explosions echoed in the distance where the school was. Aria caught her breath, they were blowing up the school, and they were rounding them up, the suckers. She knew that she should probably run back to the school and warn everyone, but she stayed with the officers to see if she could find out anything more. But, who would listen to her if she did go back? No one, she thought with a frown.

The officers seemed to be gearing up to go into action, they seemed confidant. They couldn’t be more wrong. They were at least close to one hundred, but three good fighting Walkers could easily kill them all. Still, they had bombs and fire killed vampires, maybe they were in more danger Aria thought.

As Aria looked around, her eyes paused on a slight glow in the far distance. There was something terrifyingly familiar about the yellowish color. Aria moved slightly closer towards the glow so she could see it better, but was careful not to be noticed. When she was at a safe distance from it, she finally recognized what it was: the eyes of a Dimidium-Lamia. She froze, terrified. As she stared deeper into the woods she was able to see other big yellow eyes in the distance. The Half-Breeds were watching the officers, but for some reason not attacking. Aria focused as much as possible on one of the half-vampire so she could identify its emotions. It was hard because she was not used to it, and the creature was far away; but lucky for her, their emotions were incredibly overwhelming and intense, so she was able le to detect them. It was a mix of hunger, adrenaline, excitement and longing; a combination that could mean absolutely no good. They were waiting, waiting to attack, but not the officers. The officers were the distraction, she realized, so that the Dimidiums could take over the school when the time came. Aria didn’t stay put any longer otherwise she might start screaming. She quickly got up, and ran back towards the school. At this point she didn’t care if she was seen or if she made noise, all she wanted to do was get away as far as she could and as quickly as possible.