Chapter 10: Facing the truth

This chapter is only one part because it's short.
Enjoy!

Picture: Kendall Jenner as Maria Preston
Song: Creep by Radiohead

Chapter 10:  Facing the truth

          Day Walker Code 112- Lying of important matter is punishable by law

Tanner

            They got back to school a little before midnight on the next day. After what happened with the sharks, Tanner was more than happy to be back in the safety of their academy.

            As he got ready for school the day following their arrival, he couldn’t help but think about how much his body had hurt when he had called back his clones while he and Hayden had been fleeing the sharks. Why did it affect him only after? Could he really die from a wounded clone? It was sad that he knew so little about his power. Well, at least he finally found a use for it. This ability would be useful if ever a war or a big fight was to occur, and Tanner did enjoy a good battle.

....

            He had to see her. He finally decided it was time to tell her. The more he hid it from her, the more time that he was losing. He left his room, not bothering to tell his twin where he was going. He crossed campus and entered the building. He climbed up the stairs and walked to the end of the hallway to the last door. He needed to tell her. Tanner knew it was the right thing to do. But why was it so hard? He had talked to her many times before.

Finally, he took a deep breath and knocked on the door. She answered faster than he would have expected.

            “Tanner.” She said smiling warmly at him. “What are you doing here so early?”

            For a moment he didn’t know what to say. She was right, what was he doing here? Maria was going to kill him.

 Slowly he got his thoughts together. “I’m sorry to bother you so early Mrs. Hail.” He said to his teacher. “But something happened a month ago and I think you should know about it. Can we please talk?”

Maria

            Where was Tanner? He had left this morning without bothering to tell her where he was going, moron, Maria briefly thought. She was in Humanologies and he still hadn’t arrived yet, and Tanner Preston was almost never late. She wondered if he was still mad at her for ruining Hayden’s sand dragon. Or maybe he was mad at her because she’d lived up to her promise and destroyed the entire sculpture while no one was watching—well, no one except Tanner. He just happened to be there when she was furiously smashing the thing to the ground. A horrible thought suddenly crossed her mind. What if Tanner was “sick” again? Would that mean she would be getting a second ability too? She already has enough trouble controlling her telekinesis; a second power would be too much for her.

Maria was so deep in her thoughts that she hadn’t noticed she’d been staring at her pencil the whole time; sure enough it had slowly started to levitate. She grabbed it before anyone could notice the strange pencil floating in mid air.

She was scribbling in one of her note books, when someone knocked on the classroom door. Maria lifted her head, hoping to find see her brother finally walk in, but instead only saw Mrs. Hail. “Sorry for disturbing your class Mr. Connors.” She said to the Humanologies teacher. “But I need to see Hayden Brooks and Miss Preston.” I’m Miss Preston, Maria thought to herself with a smile, Hayden is just Hayden. She’s nothing like the rest of her kind.