Chapter 4: A light in total darkness (Part 2)

Still Aria's point of view, read on!

Picture: Glowing eyes

Song: I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift

The boys got to the dorm fast, and naturally they noticed Hayden’s eyes immediately. Aria knew that now she would be the invisible twin sister, while the Chriss twins took care of Hayden. Outside of home her sister always came first, always, and Aria was the forgotten mistreated one.  

“Have your eyes bothered you today?” Chayton asked sitting beside Hayden on her bed.

“No.” Her sister answered sounding rather annoyed instead of worried like she should be.

“Do you feel weird?” Evander asked, obviously caring because he wasn’t cussing. He took Hayden face in his hands, to look at her eyes more clearly, his face inches from hers.

“No.” Hayden responded again, wiggling her face out of Evander’s hands.

“Has anything unusual happened today?” Chayton demanded.

Yes, Aria thought. She saved a Day Walker and punched her boyfriend—ex-boyfriend out cold. She was pretty sure that her sister was thinking the same thing, but of course Hayden ignored the matter, and let the Chriss boys continue with their questioning. They went on for a good hour, asking stupid questions like what color was her urine? How does her stomach feel? When was her last period? Yes, girl vampires had their period.

“I’m not pregnant Evander.” Hayden snapped, Aria couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. “And even if I was, I think I’d know it by now.”

“It would fucking suck if you were pregnant though, you just broke up with the damn father of your fucking child.” Evander pointed out with a smirk.

“Yeah sure, that’s why it would suck.” Hayden sarcastically commented, covering her hands on her face and laying down on her bed. 

“Hayden” Chayton said, bringing them back on topic. “I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with you. Sure your eyes are glowing, but that’s it. Yeah sure it’s weird, but that’s all there is to it.”

“I think she should sleep on it.” Evander concluded, looking at his watch. Aria wondered how he was able to get out of his punishment, and how much more trouble he was going to be in later. “Maybe it’ll be gone by tomorrow.”

“But we have a ritual tonight.” Hayden objected. “We can’t just—”  

“We’ll do it tomorrow Hay.” Chayton interrupted. “We don’t really know what’s wrong with you and I think Evander might be right, maybe it’ll be gone by tomorrow. Besides, your circle isn’t going anywhere.” He gently smiled at her.

“Accept maybe me” Evander continued for his brother. “Because I’m damn stuck with fucking detention, and Cole’s fucking gone as he can be. Damn, when did things get so messed up?” He asked to no one in particular.

“I don’t think you’re really helping.” Aria pointed out speaking up for once.

“Well, I’m doing fucking a lot more than you’ve ever fucking done Brooks.” Evander snapped at her, his eyes shooting daggers. Aria would have been just fine if he’d gotten killed in the cafeteria fight; she never liked that Night Walker and his cussing mouth in the first place.

There was a long silence; the time for Hayden to think, for Evander to calm down, for Chayton to play on his phone, and for Aria to fully absorb what was going on. Were they really going to cancel the ritual? Aria might not be a genius when it came down to Night Walker magic, but she knew that there were certain days meant for certain rituals. They couldn’t simply cast their circle when they felt like it, otherwise there would be consequences and they would unbalance nature; after all Night Walker magic was already interfering with Witch and Warlock business. So, Aria almost understood Hayden’s frustration to postpone the ritual, who knew when their next opportunity might come by to do the enchantment?