Chapter 18: Fire and ice (Part 1)

Because we're so close to the end, things are going to start shaking up a little bit.

Picture: Cracking Ice

Song: Landslide by The Dixie Chicks

Chapter 18: Fire and Ice

           Day Walker Code 174- We are not indestructible

Aria

What had they been thinking!? How could they have thought for just one second that doing it had been good idea? If they’d been drunk it might have seemed normal or predictable, maybe even almost forgivable; but they’d been completely sober, therefore acting willingly. Tanner had slept with her willingly! Why!?

This morning when the Day Walker had accidentally woken her up trying to escape, Aria had never felt so abused and manipulated in her entire life. Every day thus far he’d been completely oblivious to her existence and flirting with her sister right in front of her, and then magically last night he notices her and wants to get in bed with her? Aria wasn’t sure what kind of game Tanner was playing, but she definitely didn’t want to play along. Last night had become a blur of cigarettes, alcohol and sex.

Despite the odd memory loss of the previous night, when she’d woken up this morning her emotions were strangely inactive. The only thing she felt was anger towards Tanner, an emotion that she was truly feeling without it being forced upon her. Even now, as she cleaned up her room, her emotions remained neutral and entirely her own. She never felt so relieved in her life, maybe her insanity was all finally over.   

“Stupid Day Walkers” She mumbled as she picked up pieces of broken wine bottles on her bed and on the floor. Where had those come from anyway? There were a lot of cigarette stems all scattered all around the room, which she would have to vacuum. She hated doing chores, especially if it involved cleaning up after someone else.

Someone knocked on the door. At first she ignored it because she was certain that it was Tanner that wanted to come apologise; but after three minutes of constant banging, Aria finally answered the door.

As it turns out, she was completely wrong. Behind the door was none other than her little sister! “Hayden!” Aria exclaimed, throwing herself into her sister’s arms. “What are you doing here?!” She then asked, backing away to block the view of their chaotic room.

What was her sister doing back at school?! Even worse, what was she doing back at school today; couldn’t she have just come back tomorrow or better yesterday, before everything happened and she was tangled up in one big mess? Last Aria had she checked, her twin had killed a doctor and was nowhere near recovery. So again, she wondered, what was she doing back?! 

“You know” She suddenly heard Maria Preston’s voice say from the other end of the hall. “I asked her the same question, but I however, don’t really care about the answer.” In a flash, Maria appeared between her and Hayden, and the Day Walker didn’t look very happy. “What I’d much rather know is where you were this morning, Brooks Number Two? I waited for almost an hour outside in the cold and only Chayton and Evander showed up. You we’re supposed to come to the woods, remember!?” Maria’s eyes seemed to be shooting daggers and Aria knew that she needed to be careful with her choice of words otherwise the Day Walker would snap her like a twig.

“Well, at least someone came.” Aria commented in a small voice. She was trying to change the subject. After all, she certainly wasn’t going to Maria that she had slept with her brother. The Day Walker would kill her on the spot! Or maybe she would kill Tanner then kill her.