Chapter 9: Swimming in blood (Part 2)

I finally updated! Yay! I rule!

Still Hayden. So quick! Get readin'!

Picture: Michelle Trachtenberg as Hayden Brooks

Song: Open Waters by Lori Martini and Cassandra Kubinski (Listen to the song, it's beautiful!)

            She knew that it wouldn’t take them long to reach the dolphins. Not only did vampires swim fast, but they could hold their breath underwater for at least seven minutes without any problems. She and Tanner had a nonofficial race to see who could reach the creatures first; he had won of course. The sun was almost completely up, and it was starting to take its effect on Hayden. She was getting tired extremely fast, but she did her best to try not to let it show. The last thing she needed was to look weak in front of Tanner Preston.

To Hayden’s surprised the dolphins stayed when they arrived, she and Tanner were even able to get on their backs.  They made their dauphins race each other, constantly encouraging them to make them go faster, but sadly, neither she nor Tanner spoke dolphin so they remained at the same speed. The Day Walker named his creature Peanut because he for some reason thought it was funny and Hayden named hers Jelly because she knew it would annoy him, which of course it did.

“Come up with your own stupid name!” He complained splashing, which started a whole new other fight. The salt in the water didn’t bother them; they could open their eyes underwater and not feel anything. The perks of being a vampire, she thought.

Hayden didn’t know how far they were from the beach; actually, she didn’t really care because she was having fun; something she hadn’t had in a while.Peanut tried jumping while Tanner was still on his back and the Day Walker fell off, it was rather hilarious. So hilarious that Hayden was laughing so hard that she hadn’t noticed Tanner swimming up towards her until he grabbed her arm and pulled her off of Jelly. As she fell into the water, she landed straight on the Day Walker but he didn’t seem to mind and neither did she. For a while, they spent their time splashing each other, trying to drawn one another and forcing the other one drink water, which did not taste very good. It took them a few seconds too long to realize that the dolphins were gone.

            “Hey Tanner.” She said letting go of him. “The dolphins are gone.” He looked around him to see if she was telling the truth, which of course she was. Hayden thought it was strange, because they were beside them barely a second ago. “Do you think we should go look for them?” And that’s when Tanner went rigid, his face suddenly white with fear. “Preston, are you—?”

“Shut it.” Tanner whispered interrupting her. “Stay very still.”

            Hayden didn’t stay confused about his strange attitude for long, because soon enough she felt it too. Something was swimming right under them, making circles, and it was huge. “Oh shit.” She whispered in a high pitchy voice.

            “Brooks, don’t panic.” The Day Walker said trying to reassure her, even though it wasn’t really working. “Everything’s going to be okay. Just breathe.” Hayden tried inhaling and exhaling, but her pulmonary system didn’t seem to be working.

“It’s a….a….a sh—” She didn’t have the time to finish her sentence.

“MOVE!” The Day Walker yelled no longer whispering calmly to her.  Tanner grabbed her hand and dragged her under the water, just has the giant white shark jumped up to where they had been barely seconds before.