Chapter 46: Belly

Beep. Beep. Beep. 

I look down at myself lying in the small hospital bed. I was small, fragile, and lifeless. My skin color was paler than a ghost. 

The iv in my arm held the liquid that soon enough would be rushing through my veins. I felt around my face then ran my hands over an oxygen tube running under my nose. 

I looked around the almost too familiar room and realized I was all alone. 

I didn't see Michele, Austin, or even Dave for that matter. 

I squinted my eyes towards the direction of the clock on the wall and saw that it was 9 o'clock at night. 

When my breathing sped up, and my heart rate fastened, it was only then when I realized I was terrified. I have no idea what's going on and what's even going to happen. 

With all this sudden commotion, a nurse rushes in and tries to calm me down. 

"You're okay. You're okay, Delilah!" She soothes. 

I start to calm down enough for her to let go of the strong grip she had on my arms. 

She pulls up a chair and sits down next to my bed. 

She runs her hands through her jet black hair before tying it back and proceeding. 

"Do you have any idea what happened?" She asked. 

"Blood. There was lots of blood." I whispered. 

"Yes. Do you know why there was blood?"  

My breathing stopped as I pictured the worst possible scenarios. 

"Delilah, did you know you were pregnant?"  

My heart skipped a beat. Did I hear her correctly? 

"P-Pregnant? You've got to be kidding me." 

"I wish I was sweetie. The cause of all the blood was a serious suffering of a miscarriage." 

I twitched at the word 'Miscarriage'. 

"You're not serious. I couldn't have been pregnant! I wasn't even showing!" I snap. 

"Actually, I don't see why you weren't. You were almost 2 and a half months along." 

"How did it happen?" I whisper. 

"You were going through too much stress to carry a baby." 

Top much stress? Does that mean me worrying about Austin killed our baby?! 

The nurse apologizes quietly then walks out of the room without another word. 

I feel like my life has completely hit rock bottom. 

How does this even happen? I took a test, it was negative! 

If only I could've taken it before, I would've know. I could've stopped it!  

That baby could of had a future. I killed it. How could I have let that happen?! 

I sob into my hands and seem to only think about one thing. 

I need my family back. 

The constant stream of tears still flowed silently down my face as Michele walked through the door. 

"You're awake." 

She walks over to me and hugs me as if it was the last hug she would ever give me. Little did I know, that was correct. 

"Delilah. I'm so sorry you have to go through this." 

She whispers. 

"Where's Austin?" I ask.