Chapter 10: Lace Dress

Two days later…

It was 3 in the morning and I still haven’t slept. I’m just lying next to Austin in the hospital bed. Every time I try to sleep I keep having the same nightmare over and over again. I think we all know what they were about. I can’t even sleep. I haven’t eaten anything.

The only way I will get up is if I have to use the bathroom and even then I still need help and all because of my leg and back.

I’m a complete mess. I’ve been crying all night. Finally, I stopped for a few minutes so Austin could fall asleep. I feel so bad for him. He has canceled ALL of his performances and radio interviews. I am so grateful for him. I was thinking and if it hadn’t been for him, I would have killed myself. I know you may think I’m being dramatic but it’s the truth. I loved my parents so much. I was so close to them. So to have them ripped away from me within a matter of seconds is excruciating. And to top it all off, it is all my fucking fault.

I didn’t even realize I had begun to sob until Austin’s grasp around my waist tightened and he pressed his lips against my cheek.

“Shhh, babe. Delilah, shhh!” he soothes.

“Austin, it’s my fault! I killed them! If it weren’t for me they would still be…”

He cut me off. “Don’t you ever say that again! It is not your fault, okay? You had no control of what happened. Please don’t blame yourself, Lilah!”

“But Austin, I don’t have anyone now. I am an only child and so are my…” I pause. “…Were my parents. And my grandparents have all either died or don’t even know I exist. And…”

“You have me. Forever and beyond. I love you. It’s you and me for eternity.”

I start crying again but this time, it’s for a different reason than before. Austin Carter Mahone.

“Austin, I love you so much!” I say.

I grab his shirt and pull him in for a passionate kiss.

Sparks flew everywhere and suddenly I was on cloud nine again. I haven’t kissed him in 2 days and now my stomach was unleashing its beautiful butterflies. No, scratch that. It was unleashing its gorgeous eagles everywhere.

I suddenly pulled away realizing what I looked like.

I was wearing a hospital gown, I hadn’t showered in 3 days, my hair was in complete knots, and I had no makeup on.

“Babe, why’d you pull away?” Austin whines with a half-smile.

“Because look at me! I’m disgusting!”

“Babe, you are my beautiful angel. You will never look ‘disgusting!’” he says in air quotes.

I laugh.

“YEE!” he exclaims.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“I made you laugh. I knew that if I tried hard enough, I could do that!”

“Oh Austin...” I say.

We continue talking for the rest of the night. Until the sun comes up. At 9, the doctor walks in and checks things.

“Well, Miss Jane, I think everything looks good here other than a few scratches and bruises that should heal in no time. You should be able to go home today.”

“Okay. Thank you!”

He walks out of the room and Austin and I begin packing up all of our stuff. We call Michele and tell her the news.