Another Birthday Alone | Chapter 39

|btw Snow's talking to Emma on the phone and if you're asking how, well she just went through the Beer Garden's portal to the city haha sorry I know this is stupid but I need her to talk to her somehow.|

EMMA'S POV

"I'm sorry..."

"Emma! This is another year without you! You said you'd be here at night."

"I know. But we just found out this girl, mom... we love her. And we have to wait until tomorrow-"

"You don't want to be with us on this day do you?" she softly asked.

"It has nothing to do with you... Mary Margaret, this is my first year in the Forest and... I don't know,... balls! Surprises! That's not me. I don't want any of those and I know you two."

I heard her sighing. "Emma..." we stayed quite for a second or two. "We just wanted to be with you..."

"I'm sorry." I swallowed hard and nervously looked at Killian who was probably already asleep, his head buried in the pillow, his arms up with his hands under the pillow, only his boxers and a shirt on.

"We love you, Emma... That's why we try to make those things, to make you happy-"

"I know." It hit me. I was being so selfish.
I left my son, my parents... my whole family alone in my birthday just because of my fear.

"We'll be there tomorrow. I promise I'll try. And then we can pretend it was today... Mom, my birthday is just a day. I'm with you every day and I love you every day."

"Oh Emma... We love you two. But it is special. You were born-"

"And then put in a magical wardrobe. It's not special."

"Emma..."

"It's been 30 years. I'm over it. I just got used to not celebrating it I guess. Look tomorrow we talk better. I'm exhausted."

"Yeah yeah of course... Good night Emma." She softly said.

"Night, mom."

I hung up and settled the alarm to 9am and placed the phone on the nightstand.

I sat on my side of the bed and took off my jeans.

The lights were turned off, only the small light from the nightstand letting me see anything in the night.
I got up again to put on my pajamas shorts and looked at Killian who had turned his face to me, still asleep.

I sighed and sat again on the bed, taking off my sweat.
I felt a hand touching my back and turned around to see him awake, eyes half open.

I leaned down to him and kissed his brow.
"Go to sleep. It's only 2 in the morning."

I put on my pajamas shirt and lay down next to him.

"Up so late?" He said. His voice really low with the lack of sleep.

"My mom called... I shouldn't be here on my birthday." I whispered staring the ceiling. "I was too afraid so I ran away. I always run away." I sighed and brought my hand to my forehead.

"That's who you are. It seems that you just can't change that." He held up on the bed on his elbows and I felt his eyes on me.

I kept staring the ceiling.

"Do you think Sarah will like our life in the Enchanted Forest?"