Chapter 19

Nakiyah

Alot of people in here know me but I'm not going to say anything to them because I need my daughter to see I got over the street life and she needs to also.

There where inmates standing behind us but I didn't look to see who they where.

All the kids where telling there parents how they gone change and it was Zariah's turn.

She shook her head and I could tell she was ready to cry "Mom I'm sorry for every thing I did and I promise I'm done with the weed and everything. All the stories you tell me about jail I see your not playing and I'm gone change for you my daddy and mainly myself." Zariah said then broke out in tears and walked over to me for a hug.

I stood up and gave her a hug then I let a few tears escape. "I love you baby" I whispered in her ear " I love you to ma" she said.

She looked up at me whiping her tears then laughed. "I haven't seen you cry in years ma" Zariah said wiping my tears away.

I sat back down and wiped my face. Thinking about how I was so proud of my baby.

"You looking good baby" a voice whispered in my ear.

I sat there and let another tear escape knowing who it was. I got up turned around and hugged him , crying into his chest. I was mad at him but I was happy at the same time.

"No touching " the officer said but we continued to hug each other.

"I missed you" he whispered into my ear.

I didn't say anything back I just sat down in my chair and silently cried letting tears fall down my face. Zariah came and sat on my lap hugging me.

I hugged her back and tried to control my crying. It felt so good crying I been holding everything in these past years.

"Promise me you gone do better baby" I said to her. She shook her head yes hugging me tighter.

She went back over to where she was standing.

It's just crazy how 8 years ago I believed that fairy tales could happen in the hood , but I guess not. Why didn't he contact me? Is what we had over? All these questions where just racing through my mind. I snapped out of my thoughts when the officer started talking.

"Stop at the front and get your belongings and I hope this program helped opened you kids eyes"

Zariah and I got our belongings and left. I looked over at Zariah to see her staring out the window.

"Do you have everything you need before I drop you off at your dads" I asked her as I stopped at a red light.

"Yeah" She said softly

I just nodded my head and continued to focus on the road. She looked over at me and grabbed my hand. "Mom i'm really sorry for hitting you the other night..My temper just got the best of me" she said looking down at her jeans.

"It's okay baby but next time you try some shit like that you may never see another day in your life" I spoke

She laughed and shook her head. "Your birthday is coming up..what you wanna do?" I asked her changing the subject.

"Ooo! I wanna rent out a place and have a big party. And everybody wear white and it would be a glow in the dark party." She said getting excited. "Well ill talk to your daddy about it" I said laughing at how excited she got.

I dropped her off at Messiah's and went back home.

When I got home I took a shower and through on a pair of small Nike sleep shorts and a tank top. I got bored and decided to go sit on the front porch so I slipped on some Nike sandals. I sat on the porch and laughed to myself thinking about how whenever I would sit outside at night when Vontae was here he would always say "We live in the hood not the burbs you cant just sit outside at night".

I looked across the street and seen a group of boys standing outside but I always seen them outside so it was nothing new. I looked down to my phone and started scrolling down my twitter feed, but looked back up when I heard somebody walking towards me.

I couldn't tell who he was at first because it was dark out but then I noticed it was Terrell. I talk to Terrell every once in a while he's always across the street with that group of boys. But me and him are just friends it's nothing serious.

"Wassup Ma" Terrell said sitting down next to me.

"Nothing just coolin" I said running my fingers through my hair.

"I haven't seen you out here in a minute" he said

I locked my phone and set it down "I just been busy" I said. Your big head ass always busy" He said pushing the side of my head.

I shook my head and laughed "Touch me again we gone be out here fighting"

"wassup then" He said standing up in front of me pulling up his pants. I laughed and stood up on the stairs because he was taller than me.

"Why you out here in these short ass shorts" he said slapping my butt. " Stop" I laughed "And because I just got out the shower." I said

"Sit down you starting to make my member happy" He smirked. "You so fucking goofy" I laughed and pushed his shoulder playfully. Then his boys started walking over , I never really communicate with them like that only a couple of times.

"What y'all want" Terrell asked turning to them. "Damn nigga we cant come say wassup" One of his boys said.

"Nope I was gone get some but y'all wanna interrupt shit" Terrell said smirking. I hit him in the back of the head. "Stop playing with me" I said.

"Damn Kiyah" Terrell said holding the back of his head. "Well Ill see you later i'm tired" I said starting to open my door. I felt uncomfortable as I felt all them looking at my ass. "I cant get a hug" Terrell asked.

I walked over to him and gave him a hug. I started walking away again then he grabbed my wrist and pulled me close to him. "Let me come with you" he said looking down at me. "She don't want your ass" One of his boys laughed. I also laughed "Come on" I said walking back up the stairs.

He started following after me. "I was just kidding , You know I don't get down like that" I said laughing. All his boys laughed and he smacked his lips. "Always playing Kiyah, You know you want me to come inside with you" He said getting closer to me.

"Good night Terrell" I laughed then walked in the house. I looked outside my window and seen them still standing there. I opened the door again and peeked my head out. "You guys can get off my property now". They all looked at me then walked back across the street.