Promises, Promises

A/N: Dedicated to SamiyaBotan. Happy Late birthday! 

Riley POV

I woke the next morning to the shinning sun in my eyes and a smile gracing my lips as memories of last night ran through my mind. Rolling over, my hands encountered the cold sheets and my eyelids fluttered open. 

I sat up and picked up the wrinkled scrap of paper whose words printed on it made my smile grow wider. 

Hey, beautiful. Sorry to run out without saying goodbye, but you looked so peaceful sleeping and I was going to be late for class. See you soon, okay? I promise we'll find a way to work around you being grounded. Missing you already.
Love you, -G 

I nervously bit down on my lip as my eyes found the alarm clock sitting on my bedside table. 8:15. 

Had the principal already told the school? Was the press already harassing the people close to me?

I quickly changed and walked downstairs. Ignoring the solemn faces of my family, I approached the windows in the living room. 

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Kyle murmured behind me. 

Drawing open the heavy curtains, my eyes widened as they took in the sight before me.

Man...it was worse than I thought.

Grant POV

"Has anyone seen Rob?" I asked to no one in particular as we made our way to the auditorium for an "important assembly". 

"Na man, I haven't seen him in a few days actually," Josh responded and his words made me frown. Now that I thought about it, he's been pretty absent lately. 

Shit, I thought, and took out my phone to text him. 

Hey man, where r u? School assembly in the auditorium. Get ur ass over here. -G

Sitting down next to Seth and James, I warily looked up at the principal as he cleared his throat and tapped the microphone on the podium in front of him. 

"Attention students. There is some important news Lakeview Hill Academy has to divulge. As many of you know, we had a student transfer here halfway through the semester, which is something our Board usually doesn't allow."

"Shit, Grant. Is the principal talking about Rob?" Seth whispered to me. Shit, shit, double shit. 

Rob, what the hell did you get yourself into?

"But this case was very peculiar. You see, students, Lakeview Hill Academy decided to partner up with two local high-school aspiring reporters to go undercover in our school." Confused voices filled the room and the teachers tried to shut us up. 

"The student you all know as Rob Cooper is actually a young girl named Riley Cooper. She and her twin brother have been documenting her experiences as a member of the male gender living in a boarding school and they are now fast at work to finish their article for their school newspaper. There is talk of other local newspapers wanting to interview a few people who knew 'Rob' well and perhaps even an exclusive with the Chanel 9 News. If any of you are interested in being interviewed, your teachers will distribute permission slips for an adult guardian to sign and return to the school...."

By then I had tuned the man's every word. 

I sat numbly in my seat trying to process what he just said. Riley was Rob. Rob was Riley. 

And she lied to me again. 

Shooting out of my seat, I bolted for the doors, ignoring my teachers calling for me. 

I needed answers. 

Riley POV

"Where is everyone?" I asked the secretary that escorted me to my old dorm room to pick up my stuff. 

"Assembly. They're...breaking the news to the students." Biting my lip, I nodded and walked further into the dorm. 

"I'll leave you to get your things. Make sure to sign out at the office before you leave, dear." When the door shut behind her I let out a breath and flopped down on my bed. 

Stripping the mattress of the sheets and comforter, I left them in a neat pile at the foot of the bed. After stuffing my Rob clothes in the duffel bag I brought, not bothering to fold anything, I glanced around the half-bare room. 

Walking to Grant's side of the room, I picked up the little cheap bracelet I had won him on our date at the carnival. It seemed like forever ago; I didn't know he'd kept it.

I heard the door open but I didn't bother to look. Instead, I placed the bracelet down on the bedside table and turned to face Grant.

"Hey." 

Grant said nothing as he stared at me with disbelieving eyes. "Why'd you do it?" he finally asked after a long, agonizing silence.

"What, the research? I-"

"No. I mean why did you lie to me? Why couldn't you just tell me the truth, Riley?" I bit my lip to keep the tears at bay. I had to let this all out.

"I couldn't do it. There is no better explanation. I just did't want to--" lose you, I finished in my head.

"What are you gonna write about me in your article, huh? Are you going to mention how much fun you had making a fool out of me? How you made me fucking fall in love with you?! God, did you even mean anything you said?" I let out a shaky breath and brushed away the tears that were already falling down my face. 

"Grant, I-I"

"Just go, please. I think I need to think. I-I don't know how I feel about this."

"W-what about your promise? You promised me..."

Grant's eyes stared into my red, blurry ones as he said the words that broke all the hope inside me. "And you lied."

It felt like a slap to the face. 

Swallowing down the sob threatening to escape my lips, I bent down to pick up my duffel bag and turned to walk out of the room. 

I didn't dare look back, because I knew if I did I would see him close the door behind me with a betrayed expression on his  face. 

But really, what did I expect?

Promises, they're nothing; nothing compared to what I did. I've been lying to him for weeks. I had so many opportunities to tell him, but why didn't i? 

Because I'm selfish. I knew I would lose him as soon as I told him the truth. 

Hugging my center as I passed the gates of Lakeview Hill Academy, the sob finally broke through and I let the tears freely fall down my face. 

I had lost him. Only this time, I don't think I can get him back. 

A/N: ...so who hates me? Lol as promised, here is my Thursday update. So If anyone here lives in Chicago, you all know about the floods. SCHOOL WAS OUT and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it! :) A big thanks to the weather Gods up there who made this possible, and please, feel free to make it rain again tonight ;P 
Okay, back on topic. Sad chapter, I know. And the next few updates will most likely be very depressing too. Should I switch to someone else's POV while Riley mopes and wallows in self-pity? Comment and tell me whose's point of view you want to read!