Letting Go

Riley POV

"Okay, you guys know how proud I am of you for our victory last night against Jackson High. But we have to get back to work. That is if you want to win State." 

Josh and his clowns groaned, "Take a day off Coach. It won't kill us." I rolled my eyes at Josh's suggestion and placed my hands on my hips. 

"May I remind you that State is only a few weeks away? We have to get serious, we need to--What are you doing?" My eyes grew wide as I watched them all stand and slowly walk towards me. 

"We're just gonna have some fun, Coach." I narrowed my eyes at them and shook my head. "No. I'm dead serious. You all will regret it--AHH!" I shouted as I was launched into the pool by James. 

I cannot believe they just did that. 

Wanting to mess with them, I held my breath and lay floating on my belly. "Coach?" I heard a few of them call. 

I felt a smile grow on my lips as I felt the water ripple, indicating that they had jumped inside the water to "save me". 

I stayed still as one of them flipped me over and held my face up from the water. "Riley?!" Still holding my breath, I let them sweat it out for a few more seconds before flashing my eyes open and springing up to tackle Josh's head into the water. 

I emerged laughing and breathing hard. "You guys are so dead." 

"I can't believe you just did that! You had us scared to death!" I rolled my eyes and ignored Seth's rant. Instead I looked around and noticed one of them was gone. "Where's Grant?"

Dustin shrugged. "I don't know. I guess he didn't take your joke very well." I sighed and bit my lip. 

I looked up into Jame's gaze with a smile. "Marco!" 

He was about to reply "Polo!" when I dunked his head underneath the water. 

"That's for ruining my mascara."

* * * 

After a great game of Dunk The Disobedient Swim Team, I jumped out of the pool. I shivered in my clothes and frowned. 

"Fine, you guys win. You're dismissed. Go celebrate." I ignored their hooting and fist-pumping and walked past the gate. 

I can't go home like this. I'll probably die of hypothermia or something. With that thought in mind, I made my way over to my empty dorm room to borrow some Rob clothes. 

"Hey Rob," a voice said as the door swung open. I spun around with wide eyes and drank in Grant's expression. "Riley."

"Erm. Hey. I just came to...borrow some clothes from Rob." I held up a loose V-neck tee and gestured to my soaking wet body, "You know, since you guys threw me into the pool." 

After a moment of silence, I looked away from him and picked up my things. "Right. Well, I'll be going now."

"Wait." Grant's fingers wrapped around my arm and spun me around to face him. "W-what is it?" I asked as I looked up at his face just an inch away from mine. 

He didn't reply. Instead, he brought his hand up to cup my cheek, pulling me into him. The moment his lips touched mine, I let out a sigh.

Grant's hand that was lightly caressing my face crawled down my arm and down my naked torso, wrapping around my waist to pull me closer. I smiled against his lips and gripped his shoulders as he deepened the kiss. My hands traveled upward to wrap around his neck and tangle in his hair, loving the feel of his body against my own. 

We pulled back an inch to breath, but not letting go. I opened my mouth to speak but my phone ringing cut me off. As if the shrill tone of my ringtone had snapped him out of a dream, Grant jumped away from me. He backed away until his back touched the wall and he leaned against it, all the while avoiding my gaze. "I guess I should go then."

Grant sighed and looked up at me with a pained expression. "Yeah, you should."

Feeling like I've done something to be ashamed of, I walked down the hallway to the bathrooms. How is it that I felt bad for him kissing me?

I might act tough, but I knew why I suddenly felt dirty. 

He was with Natalie now. And he just cheated on her with me. 

I locked the doors of the bathroom and turned the shower on, letting the hot water wash away my tears.

I guess it's time to accept it. To finally let Grant go.