Way Out Of My League

Kyle POV

"Girls are taught a lot of stuff growing up. If a guy punches you he likes you. Never try to trim your own bangs and someday you will meet a wonderful guy and get your very own happy ending. Every movie we see, Every story we're told implores us to wait for it, the third act twist, the unexpected declaration of love, the exception to the rule. But sometimes we're so focused on finding our happy ending we don't learn how to read the signs. How to tell from the ones who want us and the ones who don't, the ones who will stay and the ones who will leave. And maybe a happy ending doesn't include a guy, maybe... it's you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over, freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Maybe the happy ending is... just... moving on. Or maybe the happy ending is this, knowing after all the unreturned phone calls, broken-hearts, through the blunders and misread signals, through all the pain and embarrassment you never gave up hope."

Wow. Girls actually like this shit? 

"We are all programmed to believe that if a guy acts like a total jerk that means he likes you."

"Okay enough! I can't take another second of this brain-draining nonesense!" I shouted as I reached for the remote and turned off the movie.

"What the hell, Kyle. That's like the wold's best chick-flick!" 

I rolled my eyes and flopped back on my bed, "Yeah, right up there with The Notebook and Sweet Home Alabama."

"Oh my God, you've watched those movies?"

I shrugged and nodded, "All for research. Taking one for the team and all that, yeah?"

"Is it wrong to suddenly be totally hot for you right now?" I snorted and tried to sit up but Abby pushed me back down. My eyes widdened as Abby climbed on top of me, her legs straddling mine, and pinned my wrists to the bed above my head. "Tell me Kyle, what was your favorite part of The Notebook?"

I opened my mouth to reply but nothing came out. I was too shocked to even think a coherent thought. 

Suddenly, Abby let out a laugh and jumped off me. I sighed in relief and sat up. She flashed me a wicked look from beside me and turned the movie back on. "I can't believe you turned off He's Just Not That Into You. It's like the anthem of the bitter, hopeless, and perpetually unloved romantics."

"Speaking from experience?" I said teasingly. 

She turned to me with a sad look in her face and nodded. "Yep."

I raised an eyebrow but didn't comment. Not my business to get into, right? But I couldn't help but feel angry at the stupid asshole Abby was pinning after. She was seriously the most beautiful girl he's ever met. Not only that but she's funny and down-to-Earth. 

...and way out of your league, I reminded myself bitterly.

I guess Abby and I had something else in common, both pinning after the wrong one.

I laid back on the wall and turned to watch the movie again. By the end, when the main dude named Alex tells the protagonist, Gigi, that she's his exception, I realized that Abby was right.

This movie really is the anthem for the perpetually unloved. 

A/N: So let's take a break from Riley Cooper and her love parallelogram. Let's give her twin a shot at happiness, yeah?