Hot-Shot On Campus

Riley POV:

I've always been popular. But not the type you see on T.V. I'm friends with few but admired by many.

I guess that's what happens when you become a National swim champion at the age of fourteen.

Now I'm seventeen and the reining champion for four years. My opponents don't even try anymore. They just talk trash behind my back but smile when I'm around.

That's what it's like to be a popular girl. Being a hot-shot guy is way different.

I've been getting fist bumps and bro hugs from random guys since word got out that I had a "ménage à trois" with two girls at the party in the weekend.

If only they knew I was stripping away my guy clothes not my friends'.

I sat alone like usual in the plaza eating, minding my own business, when Josh and his goons flopped down next to me.

"Rob, my man. How you doin'?" I gave him a blank look and pointedly avoided answering.

"So what are you up to?" I looked down at my food with a "duh" expression on my face. "Eating."

"Of course you are. Anyway, point is I need you to hook me up."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "With what?"

"There's this girl I saw at that party." my chewing slowed as I considered his words. Hmmm...it appears the player's seeking help from the nerdy-looking kid.

"Okay...? And what's that got to do with me?"

Josh shrugged, "She's hot and I know you're cool with a bunch of people from town. So hook us up, bro."

"Who is it?" I asked with a full mouth. Ha ha, I'm so ladylike.

"Stacy Lovelace." I choked on my orange chicken and chow mien when he said Stacy's name.

"Dude, she will never go for you!" his eyes narrowed and I registered my mistake too late. Oops! Did I wound his ego?

"Yeah, and why's that?" I struggled to think of something. Josh is a creep and I would never hook him up with a friend.

"Because...she's a hopeless romantic. She's all about prince charming and shit." Actually, so not a lie. Stacy is like Rapunzel, waiting for her prince in a tower or whatever.

He laughed, "That's it? I thought you were gonna say we played for the same team or something."

"Stacy isn't just some hoe. So if you don't plan on settling down then stay away from her."

"Who says I just wanna bang her? Stacy seems...cool." My eyebrows shot up in shock as I stared at him.

I guess creepy Josh isn't such a dick after all. "How do you plan on getting Stacy then?"

Josh shrugged, "I'll figure it out. I just need your help getting together. So throw another party or something to get me to her."

I snorted, "Nah. I'm too busy for that. There's a carnival in town this Friday. I can make sure she goes."

Josh smiled and he and his goons stood to leave. "Rob....thanks. You're pretty cool too."

* * *

"Pair off into groups of two and get started." at the teacher's request, I jumped off my seat and flopped down next to Grant.

"Partners?" he nodded and silently opened his textbook. O-kay...what's up with him?

"So what should we do our report on? Abortion? Teen-pregnancy?" I asked as I looked at the project outline.

"Nah it's too played out. We need something different to stand out."

"Okay well, think of something. I'm down for whatever."

"Cool." we sat there brainstorming and looking through our textbooks for inspiration for a while until suddenly, Grant turned towards me with a serious expression.

"So...you're kind of a hot-shot with the girls in town right?" I raised an eyebrow at his question.

"Um, I guess so. Why do you ask?" I pretended to flip through the book but I was really on the edge of my seat waiting for his answer.

"Well, there's this girl I met there. She didn't tell me her name but a few people called her 'Ry'." My heart skipped a beat and I repressed the urge to break out in a touchdown dance. 

"Ry?" Grant nodded and inched forward, looking excited. "You know her?"

I shook my head, "I don't think I know a 'Ry'. Maybe it's a nickname?"

His face fell a little and cocked his head to the side. "What girl name could 'Ry' be short for though?"

I shrugged, "I dunno. My twin's name is Riley. We shorten it to Ry all the time."

"Wait, you have a twin? How awesome is that!" I chuckled and shrugged.

"Anyway, if you have any hope of finding this 'Ry' chick, it'lll be this Friday."

"What's this Friday?" he asked in a confused tone. Man, these boarding school kids gotta get out more.

I gave him my best "duh" expression, "The annual carnival. Everyone goes. She'll probably be there."

Grant thought about it for a second before flashing me his breathtaking smile, "Thanks Rob. I'll definitely go."

I smiled at him and turned back to my textbook. Looks like Riley will make an appearance too.

A/N:

The next chapter wont be about the carnival but some complications will arise leading up to it! Stay tuned! :)