Chapter 21

Cry’s P.O.V           

I looked down at Scott’s caller ID on my phone and decided to call him one last time. Maybe he’ll answer on a third attempt.

I sat silently as the ringing began but there was no answer, yet again. I was only met with his answering machine so I just hung up, not wanting to leave another message. I tossed my phone onto the counter and sighed heavily. He’s probably still mad at me for yesterday. I don’t blame him really.

“Cheer up. He’ll call you back when he’d ready,” Ken smiled over at me from across the bar. I just leaned forward on my stool and glanced down at the toast he’d made me. I wasn’t really feeling too hungry but I picked it up and began to nibble at it anyway.

“I know. It’s just... he made us all promise we’d stay in touch. I thought he’d answer,” I replied after a moment’s silence.

“Just give him some time,” he told me.

“It’s not just me though. Russ was telling me that he tried calling him last night but there was no answer then either.” Now I was eating something I realised how hungry I actually was. I guess I should be. I haven’t eaten anything since yesterday morning.

“Maybe he’s just settling back in at home,” Ken shrugged but then shot a wide smile at someone behind me. “Morning Pewds.”

Pewds...I turned around slightly so see him standing at the bottom of the stairs all fresh and ready for the day. His must have taken a shower because I notice how his dirty blonde hair was a little damp as it hung around his face, making it seem darker than it actually was. I smiled when he lifted up his hand to itch the back of his neck nervously when he saw me looking his way. Why was he so nervous all of a sudden? He hadn’t been last night...

“Hi,” I greeted, feeling my face grow warm from the memories.

“Hey.” He slid onto the stool next to me and gave me a small smile. I hope he hadn’t drunk too much last night. He told me it was only a little but I never know with him.

“Did you sleep okay?” he asked and Ken went off to make some toast for him too.

“Yeah,” I lied. I wonder what he’d say if he could see the bags under my eyes...

“Good...” he murmured, fiddling with his headphones nervously. I began laughing at him. Why was he acting so strange all of a sudden?

“That’s adorable,” I teased and nudged his arm when I realised what was happening.  

“What?”

“You. You’re all embarrassed,” I chuckled and pinched his ever reddening cheek.

“I am not!” he argued and slapped my hand away but it was evident that he was lying. Just that little bit of contact was enough to get my mind racing over last night’s kiss. Did he know what he did to me? Did he know how easily he makes me feel like this? He’d kissed me in a way that should be illegal but I didn’t care. I wanted it. I needed it.... I wanted it again. Right here. Right now but I knew I couldn’t. I had to behave myself...at least until I get him alone.

Ken came back over then, handing Pewds the newly made toast.

“Thanks,” Pewds said in eagerness as he began wolfing it down.

“I wonder who else was eliminated,” Ken said after yet another moment’s silence. I looked up at him, seeing the glum expression on his face. Everyone was missing Scott. It much was clear but they didn’t know it was my fault. They’d all hate me if they found out that I just left him there... They’d hate me for sure. I’m certain of it. I hate myself for it.