Chapter 42

Cry’s P.O.V

I held the bells tightly in my hand, grasping them like they were my lifeline. I'd found one in the pocket of the...of him... just moments before we'd left the House of Mirrors, seeing the light catch the shiny silver metal of the bell....

Oh Jesus

I’d just killed a man.

I quickly shook the thought away, not wanting to think about it...ever.

We’d actually found the other bell on the way out of the maze of mirrors, seeing one hidden by the entrance, and Ken had forced me to take it, so I carried them both, waiting for Ken to set Pewds down so we could tie the ribbon around his wrist. That’s how you activate them, that’s how we get out of here and I couldn’t wait. Yet, something was making me question my plans.

Pewds had been slowly stirring for the past few minutes so I lingered behind, not wanting him to see the state I was in. How would I explain it? What could I possible say to make what I did look okay?

He’ll think you’re a monster.

“Maybe... maybe you should go to Sweden with him.” I finally mustered the courage to say the words. Ken glanced back at me and shifted Pewds in his arms.

“No. You promised him...”

“But that was before I...” I trailed off. I couldn’t even admit to it. I couldn’t even say it out loud. His eyes burned into me and I dropped my head to the floor, wanting him to stop looking at my blood-stained mask. Ken bent down, setting Pewds against a pillar of the old wooden rollercoaster and turning back to me.

“He’s not even real Cry. He’s probably turned into pixels and disappeared off somewhere. Look, his bloods already fading off you. It’s just like killing a character in a video game. You did nothing wrong,” Ken told me, his voice glazed with certainty.

That’s not what he was saying when you were doing it. He called you crazy.

“It didn’t feel like a game,” I told him. He had a point though, the blood was slowly fading off me, disappearing and turning into nothingness.

“Does any of this feel like a game?” Ken asked and nodded his head towards Pewds. “Just get him out of here, take him to his family and be there for him. He needs you right now. He doesn’t need me.”

I paused for a moment before another thought hit me. “...Paul and Anna probably saw that.” My voice was trembling and my hands where still shaking, causing the bells to ring softly.

“Yeah, and it’s probably exactly what they expected you to do.”

I looked up at him, unsure if he actually believed his words or if he was only saying them to ease my worry. I was about to ask but Pewds interrupted, groaning uncomfortably and grabbing our attention. I’d  been so caught up in everything that I’d  almost forgotten he was in a lot of pain right now. The sooner he got out of here the better. Not only that, but it reminded me of why I killed that man, of why I killed the bandit.

He’d of killed Pewds in the blink of an eye. I don’t doubt that for a second. And, even though I was sure he would have, I’d have done the same if there were only a slight chance. I couldn’t stand the thought of Pewds being taken away from me in such a brutal way. The thought alone drove me insane, and I guess having it spelled out to me pushed me over the edge.

“C-cry?” Pewds called quietly. I dropped to my knees beside him, not even able to consider what it would be like to lose him.

“Keep your eyes closed,” I whispered to him and he frowned before flinching in pain. There was no way I was letting him see me like this, covered in blood , even if it was fading. Although he didn’t question my request I could see he was worried so slipped my hand into his, intertwining out fingers. He hesitated slightly before giving my hand a squeeze with the little strength he had.