Chapter 61

A/N: Hey Guys! So, here it is. There are only two chapters left and don't worry, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. The surprises aren't over yet.

Cry’s P.O.V

I gripped onto the crate, holding myself up and desperately trying to gather the strength to run after him but I was in agony with my leg. So, I could do nothing but watch when my friends rushed towards the stairs, leaving me with Nicky and a tearful eyes Macey.

“Where’s Mr. Felix?” she asked me but I couldn’t reply. Hearing the terror in her voice was enough to render me silent. She was only a child...remember, Cry....she isn’t real. Worry about Felix, he is.

“Cry?” Macey murmured, stepping from beside Nicky who also seemed to want answers. “What happened to Mr. Felix?”

I glanced down at her, the pure innocence of humanity yet made to suffer...

“He’ll be alright,” I told her, and it was suddenly clear why Felix had been so determined to keep her safe. I’d know all this time that she was realistic but looking at her now, seeing the look on her face...it was so human, filled to such emotion. Regardless whether she was real or not, she cared for Felix a great deal and he cared for her.

“I promise,” I added, holding an arm out and beckoning her over.

“Really?” she asked, stepping to me and wrapping her arms around my waist, her cheek resting on my stomach.

“Yeah. I promise, kid.”

She nodded in reply but I had no chance to reassure her further.

My vision was becoming blurred, my head starting to pound. A voice called my name but the floor was swept from beneath my feet and I was falling, falling continuously but never hitting the ground. Then...blackness.

“Cry!”

“Is he awake?”

“Does he look awake?!”

“Whoa...Red, calm down. It’s okay, babe.” Was that Russ speaking?

“We’ve got to find Felix.” Ken?

I found myself rolling to the side, forcing my eyes open and looking questioningly at the white-washed walls which surrounded me. Where the hell was I?

“Cry?”

Russ was kneeling over me, Red looking over his shoulder and smiling when she noticed my confusion.

“Hey, asshole.” I looked to my other side, finding Scott smirking at me before helping me sit up, and finding Ken pacing around the simulation room.

“Why are we were?” I asked, frantically searching for the door. Once I found it I stumbled to my feet, Russ and Scott complaining in my ear and telling me to take it easy but there was no way I could listen. “Why are we back here? Where’s Felix? Macey? Nicky?”

“I don’t know,” Scott told me, finally removing his hand from my shoulder. Only then did I notice that the pain in my leg was gone. Glancing down, I found my clothes were fine, no holes or rips, no bloody marks. At least they hadn’t changed that part of the simulation system.

Why were we back here? In reality?

“This makes no fucking sense! Is he dead? Does this mean he’s dead?!” I asked them, panic taking over completely as I rushed to the door and tried barging it open, only to find it was locked tightly.