Chapter 8

Cry’s P.O.V

“Pewds! Run!” I yelled desperately at him. He stumbled back, his feet not moving properly. If I didn’t have such a tight grasp on his shirt he would had fallen over.

“Pewds! Please!” I yelled again and this time he seemed to snap out of his trance. His blue eyes looked up at me and it killed me to see them filled with fear. Thankfully, after the brief glance he gave me, he started running. My hand still didn’t let him go though. I couldn’t. I wouldn’t let him go.

We soon caught up with the others who were sprinting across the sand towards the sun which was barely visible over the horizon now. Russ glanced behind him, his hair falling in his face.

“They’re following us!” he yelled. His hand suddenly stretched out, searching for Red and she grabbed onto him. They shared a worried glance, showing that it wasn’t just Pewds who was scared. Shit, I was scared!

“There!” I heard Scott yell. We all looked at him as he pointed towards a small cave in the distance. I hadn’t seen that before. It was as if it had just appeared...like someone had just put it there. It didn’t matter anyway. We had a chance.

We all headed towards the cave. The wind was beginning to pick up and it had grown dark suddenly. Not only that but I could hear the group chasing us. They were screaming and yelling. It only made my grasp on Pewds tighten. I couldn’t let him fall behind.

As soon as we got to the cave we all ducked inside and searched desperately for a hiding place. My eyes fell on a large rock and I began rushing to it. Russ, Scott and Red ducked behind it, pressing themselves against the rock wall but just as I was about to shove Pewds into safety I heard him yell.
“No! KEN!” he shouted and flew from my grasp. My hand was left, desperately trying to grasp for him as he ran off towards the cave opening. I was about to call after him. To yell at him for being such an idiot but I found myself routed to the spot in terror when I saw the scene before me. Even Pewds froze.

Coming into view were the four figures. Three men and a woman. Their clothes were torn, their hair was cut short, weapons were strapped in their belts and on their backs, and scarves were wrapped around their mouths, protecting them from the sand. Not only did they look threatening but they also had Ken. The tallest male had a tight hold of his shirt as he dragged him along with them.

“Well, what do we have here?” he hissed at us, releasing his grasp on Ken who fell to the floor limply. The other two men grabbed his arms and dragged him into the space between them and me.

“I think we’ve been given some toys,” the woman said. She pulled her scarf down, revealing a small smirk which lay on her lips. It would have unnerved me if I hadn’t been so worried for Ken. 

“Come on,” I began and stretched my hands out. “We don’t want any trouble.”

All I got in reply was a low laugh from them before the tallest male stepped forward, lifted his spear and whispered, “That’s what they all say.”

Ken whimpered slightly when his eyes fell on the spear.

“No... NO!” I screamed and jumped forward when I realised what was going on. No! They can’t kill Ken. This is just a game! They can’t kill people!        

PewDie’s P.O.V

 I held the rock firmly in my hand as I hid in the shadows of the cave. They hadn’t noticed me slip into the darkness. Nobody had.
“That’s what they all say,” I heard the man snarl at Cry.

“No... NO!” Cry screamed and launched himself forward...but he hadn’t had to. At that exact moment I pounced from the shadows, held up the rock and smashed it down on the man’s head with all the strength I had.

The spear clattered to the floor and the man fell forward, landing on Ken then rolling off when Ken shrieked and shoved him off.  Ken then began shuffling back frantically, getting as far away from the group as he could. I, on the other hand was left surrounded by them. I really hadn’t thought this plan through. But just when I thought I was totally screwed something strange happened.

“Get us out of here,” the woman said into a small mic on her shirt. Suddenly all four of them turned into pixels and began to glitch until they completely disappeared, leaving only air in their wake. When I looked over to my friends I saw Cry helping Ken to his feet but the whole time his mask was facing my way. At the same time Scott, Russ and Red came out from behind the rock, glancing around at us then rushing over to Ken.
“Are you alright?”

“What happened?”

“Ken! Jesus man!” They all began talking but I couldn’t seem to find my voice.

“Pewds,” Ken called and when I turned to him he was making his way over to me. Before I could reply he’d pulled me into a tight hug. “You saved my live man. Thank you,” he sniffled. I patted his back then leaned away.

“Don’t mention it bro,” I smiled at him and held out my fist. He brofisted me, his eyes damp with relief and a wide smile on his face.

“Now let’s find this Glass house.”

We continued to walk, deciding that it was probably safer than staying in the cave. If those ‘bandits’ came back, that would be the first place they’d look for us. Plus it was dark around us; the sky a midnight blue and covered in stars. At least we were hidden in the darkness.

We’d managed to get up the sand dune...with a lot of effort, and we now lay on the top, collapsed in the sand and staring at the sky. My breathing had began to calm down but I couldn't seem to stop the thoughts from swirling round my head.

“It’s just a game,” I mumbled, more to myself than anyone else. “They couldn’t have really hurt Ken. They were just pixels, about as real as this desert. Didn’t you see? They just vanished. Anna and Paul were looking out for us by putting the cave there. I know it. We can’t really get hurt...they can’t really hurt us. I’m sure of it. It’s all just a game. We’re...”

“Pewds. Shhh,” Cry said gently from beside me. I closed my eyes and sighed but was met with surprise when I felt a warm hand take mine, entwining our fingers. I kept my eyes shut for a moment and relaxed into the feeling of their thumb moving up and down mine.

 “I know. We’re okay,” Cry whispered. When I turned to look at him he was facing me. His hair fell over his mask slightly, messy from the day’s events and his chest rose up and down slowly. Everything about him was calming. I squeezed his hand, letting him know that I was thankful. He was right. I’m okay...because I have him here with me to make things better.