Chapter 43

Cry’s P.O.V

My feet dragged heavily along the clean, tiled floor. I could hear the rain outside, bouncing off the windows of the airport. People passed me but I saw no faces, I took little notice of the questioning looks on people’s faces when the saw my mask. Shoulders smashed against mine but I just ignored them, pausing for a second before carrying on. I was in an almost dream-like state, absolutely exhausted and jet lagged after the long flight. The six hour time different didn’t help either. It was confusing my brain.

I’d been cooped up in that plane for just over ten hours, unable to sleep as I replayed the events of last night in my mind. For the first hour I’d spoken to Pewds. Then we’d started watching a film on the tiny TV’s which sat at the back of the seats in front of us. The film had been rubbish and Pewds had fallen asleep half way through, exhausted himself. He’d slept through most of the flight, leaving me with nothing but my own thoughts for hours on end. At least the breakfast I’d been given on the plane was nice. I’d saved some for when Pewds woke up but when he finally did he told me he couldn’t stomach anything.

Now, he was rushing through the crowded room, pushing past people as he hurried to collect my suitcase. I, on the other hand, was too tired to walk any faster so I just followed behind him. Glancing out the large windows, I watched the rain tumble down from the clouds, covering the ground in puddles of water. I hadn’t expected the weather to be so bad; it was a big change from Florida. I’d never been to Sweden before and had never planned to...but that was before I met him.

“Cry!” Pewds called back to me when he noticed how far behind I’d fallen. When I turned to him I saw him waving his hand in the air but his eyes were on the conveyor belt, watching for my luggage.

To everyone else around us, he seemed fine. He seemed like he didn’t have a worry in the world...but I could see. I could see how his brows were set in a slight frown, hardly noticeable but it was there. I could see how his lips lay straight when they were usually tilted up into a smile. I could see how his hands were shaking ever so slightly. I could see that he was losing his mind with worry.

I made my way over to him, praying my eyes to remain open when all I wanted to do was sleep. “Pewds,” I spoke to him, taking the hand which was still waving in the direction I’d been standing. His eyes shot to me, blinking a few times.

He was just as out-of-it as I was.

I opened my mouth to say something, something reassuring but I couldn’t think of a single thing I hadn’t already said. Luckily, I was saved when he caught site of my suitcase and went bounding off, squeezing through the throng of people and pulling my suitcase along the floor, heading towards the exit.

Letting out a sigh, I began to follow him, leaving the warmth of the airport and stepping out in the bitter cold air. By the time I found him, he was already on the phone, speaking to his mum and waving his hand at a passing taxi. I decided it was probably best if I remained silent for now.   

Finally, a taxi pulled up. We were already soaked by this point but I was glad for the warmth of the car. Pewds jumped into the back with me and leaned forward to tell the taxi driver where to go. It was the name of some hospital, I didn’t quite catch it.

The car began to move and I turned to the window, watching as we passed unfamiliar streets. Sweden was nothing like Florida. I never thought it would be so different. There were cobblestone streets, tall rustic building, walkways lined with rows of apartments and lots of trees scattered around the city of Gothenburg. Maybe it was just the rain that was making it look so different.

“It’s not always this dull. We’re just having a bad summer this year,” Pewds eventually spoke and I turned to see him watching me.

“I like it. It’s different,” I told him, seeing he’d been seeking for my approval. Once I gave it him he smiled softly and took my hand.