Chapter 44

Cry’s P.O.V

The continuous ringing of a car alarm could be heard from where I lay. It had been eight hours since I left Pewds at the hospital and this car alarm had been going off for most of it.

I rolled over, staring blankly at the window of Pewds’ room, the setting sun shone in through closed blinds. I’d resorted to going for a walk a few hours ago, knowing I wasn’t going to be able to get to sleep. I’d walked around the block, through the park and drank five espressos at a nearby coffee shop. It was the only thing keeping me going, the only thing that stopped me from passing out on the way back to Pewds’ apartment... although my hands were still shaking a little. I mean, I don't even like coffee but in this restless state, it didn't seem so bad.   

Dragging myself out the bed, I stumbled over to the window and peeked through at the flashing lights of the car. I’d gone over to the house but there had been no answer, the occupants were out and there was no way of stopping that stupid alarm. I wish I’d gone to the hospital with Pewds; I’d probably have been able to get some sleep there. How long have I been awake now? Nearly two days straight? Not to mention all the shit I’ve been through during that time. It was enough to drive anyone to the brink of exhaustion...so why couldn’t I sleep?!

What if you fall asleep and the lifeless face of your victim awaits you? I rolled my eyes at how dramatic my conscience was being.

 I let out a loud sigh and walked to the living room, falling onto the sofa and grabbed my mask off the coffee table. I must have left it there....I couldn’t even remember. I pulled it back on, knowing Pewds could walk in any minute. He must be coming home soon. I should call him...yeah, I’ll give him a ring, ask how things are, ask if he can steal any sedatives so I can get some fucking sleep!

Okay, maybe the last thing isn’t a good idea.  

The light of my phone screen almost blinded me as I took it out my pocket. Just as I was about to call Pewds I noticed something.

 I had a missed call....Scott Jund.

I shot up, clutching my phone and staring at the name.

Scott?

Scott?!

He’d rung a few minutes ago. How did I not near it? Silent! I’d put my phone on silent mode! God Dammit...

My fingers were clumsy as I called him back. I pressed the phone against my ear and waited for him to answer and tell what the hell had been going on with him. But, a second after I rang, a hollow beep stretched along the line before an automated voice spoke to me.

‘This number no longer exists’... I shook my head and tried again but the exact same message came up, telling me that the number which called me just moments before no longer existed. All this time I’ve been trying to get in touch with him and then I miss the one call he gives me?

My head fell against the cushion on the sofa and I dropped my phone onto the coffee table, not even wanting to think about Scott’s call right now. It’s not my fault. He’s the one who’s been ignoring us all.

“Cry?” I glanced up, hearing the soft voice. A familiar figure slipped through the front door. He held a pizza box in one hand with his satchel slung over his shoulder “Oh, you’re awake?” Pewds asked, seeing me sitting up to greet him.

“Yeah I...” Before I could finished, the man’s face stretched into a huge grin.

“I have great news!” he told me excitedly and dropped the pizza on the counter before rushing over to me and falling down onto the sofa. “My sister woke up!”