Chapter 52

PewDie’s P.O.V

“Pewds...what the hell are you talking about?” he asked me. I couldn’t help but snigger. He was so cute when he didn’t understand things and I felt so smart being one step ahead. Well, I did have Stephano but Cry didn’t know that. Cry...he wouldn't even tell  me his name but, does that really matter? I’m pretty sure the word ‘love’ came up somewhere.

I must say...I was pretty damn pleased right now.  

I shifted awkwardly, recalling the moments just before...that heated kiss. I was more than willing for it to lead somewhere but Cry had stopped me, leaving me in no mood for talking. I wanted something else.

“Can’t I explain later?” I murmured, slowly leaning closer to him. I noticed his lips stretch into a warm smile and more thrills shot through me. I loved when he kept his mask lifted a little.

“No. Now, what do you mean by respawning?” he asked me but I just grinned up at him.

I crawled closer, placing my hands next to his hips as he sat on the bed. “I can’t remember,” I chuckled, leaning even closer.

Before I could close the space, he clamped a hand around my mouth, gently pushing me back with a deep laugh. “Tell me.”

“Fine,” I sighed when he freed my mouth. “Basically, if they ‘died’ in the simulation they’re in, they will respawn.”

“...How exactly does that help us save them?”

“Okay...You can’t ask me how I know this and...You’re just going to have to trust me,” I warned, knowing that he’d want to know who told me this. He nodded slowly, clearly over thinking what my words could mean.

“Well...I know someone who’ll be able to hack into the system and make them respawn in the last simulation...therefore allowing us to collect them while we’re in there and hopefully get them all out,” I explained.

“Okay, what’s our job?”

“Erm...one of us has to go into each simulation and kill them...so they can respawn but only one of us can go.”

“Why?”

“It would be more obvious that the system was hacked if two of us were in there.”

“....When?”

“He can get us in there tonight.” 

I narrowed my eyes, staring at Cry’s lips which had fallen into a grim line, showing just as much emotion as his mask. Raising my eyebrows, I urged him to speak but he said nothing and turned from me, pushing his legs off the bed and leaning forward so his elbows rested on his knees.

“Cr...”

“Will I have to kill them?” he asked me suddenly, not turning back to me. The distress was evident in his voice and it clutched at my soul painfully. I scooted over to him, lifting a hand to smooth down his dishevelled hair, still messy from when I’d ran my fingers through it before. “Don’t worry about it, Cry. I’ll do it.”

He turned to me and although I couldn’t see his eyes it was like I could feel the affection in them. A sudden urge to pull his mask off flooded me but I tried to ignore it, knowing it would only end badly. “Really?” he asked.

“Yes.” I nodded my head, giving him a warm smile and hoping he’d feel better soon. I couldn’t let Cry do this, even if he wanted to. These simulations...they were messing with his head. I could see it. Leaving Scott, leaving Russ and Red...it had taken its toll on him and despite everything, he was a good man. I knew that. What happened with that bandit, what had almost happened to Ken, that wasn’t really Cry, that wasn’t who he really was.