Chapter 37

Cry’s P.O.V

Pewds said nothing the whole way back. It was unusual for him... I was beginning to get worried. He just stared down at the ground, kicking his feet and lost in thought. My own mind was reeling, trying to make sense of what had just happened. Maybe it would help if I made a list....Okay, here goes:

1)      We found Nicky and Snake...Nicky is pregnant.

2)      They were happy to see us and something Pewds said made Nicky turn soft on us.

3)      There is something she wanted to tell us, something important but Snake didn’t want her to, told her it would put their baby in danger. Does that mean we’re in danger too?

4)      Paul and Anna obviously didn’t want them to speak either. They were mad...angry.

Well, that didn’t give me any answers....

“What are we going to do?” Ken asked as I shoved the front door open, watching my friends trail into the house after me.

“I’m not sure,” I replied honestly, shutting the door and pulling my shoes off. Every fibre of my being told me to stay out of it, to just carry on with the simulations until it eventually ended and I came out of this either winning or losing. But was that an option? Whatever Nicky wanted to tell us, it sounded serious and I feel it’s important that we know. But was it? I mean, we’ve been fine this far, without knowing whatever the fuck it was she wanted to say. It mustn’t be that important anyway...they just left us after all. As soon as Anna and Paul turned up they were off like a shot, leaving us behind. Surely, if they thought we were in any danger they would have stayed and helped us. At least that’s what I want to think.

“You hungry?” Ken asked, opening the fridge and rummaging through.

“No,” I called, falling onto the sofa and glancing up at Pewds who was crouched on the floor, untying his laces with such precision that I thought his eyes would burst from his head. I know the whole ordeal had shaken him a little but I thought he’d be fine by now.

“Pewds?” I asked softly but he just ignored me, pulling one shoe off and starting on the other. Maybe he really hadn’t heard me; he was so deep in thought right now that I wouldn’t be surprised.

I was about to try and get his attention again when his phone started ringing, filling the silence with the loud ringtone and making him jump slightly. Looking startled, he pulled his phone out his pocket, checked the caller ID then hurried out the back door before answering.

It’s probably just his family.

“You sure you don’t want any?” Ken asked as he fell onto the sofa beside me, holding up a giant bowl of ice cream with all the toppings. I laughed at him before shaking my head.

“I don’t think I could stomach that,” I chuckled, making him roll his eyes before digging into the mountain of sugary treats. His eyes lit up like a child.

“What do you think Nicky was going to tell us?” Ken asked me after a short silence.

“Honestly? I have no idea. It seemed important though,” I replied.

“Snake wasn’t too happy about her wanted to tell us.”

“Do you think we should try and find out?” I asked him, playing with a lose thread at the hem of my T-shirt. Ken thought about this for a moment before replying.

“Pewds doesn’t want to,” he told me and I glanced at him questioning. “I can just tell,” he added, answering my unspoken question.

My eyes trailed over to the back window, looking out at Pewds as he stood by the pool. His back was to me but he held the phone was his ear, clutching it with both hands and hunching over as if he were concentrating on one specific thing. I wonder who had called him...