Chapter 59

Cry’s P.O.V       

I gripped onto Russ’ arm as he helped me up, my leg finally stitched together and bandaged up. Although the stitching was pretty gross and messy it stopped most of the bleeding which was the important thing.

“Where are we going?” I asked him as he helped me stagger across the warehouse. Pain shot through my leg each time I applied pressure but it wasn’t too bad...it wasn’t like having that rubbing alcohol poured into the fresh wound.

“Out for some fresh air,” he told me and I smirked at him, feeling a lot better than I had an hour ago.

For once, I was glad of the outside. It had been stuffy and uncomfortable in that building and seeing the fields which surrounded us, the long country road leading into a small town and the clear night sky was calming to say the least.

I looked over, finding Felix and Red sitting around a small fire as our new companion, Macey dug into the food she’d gathered. She was pretty adorable if I’m honest, with those big brown eyes and hopeful smile. It’s easy to take the naivety of a child for granted. It can be quite refreshing sometimes.

“Is your leg better?” she asked me as Russ sat me down beside Felix. She sat at his other side and peered around him.

“Yeah...it’s okay now,” I told her, giving her a smile which she returned. She turned back to her food, ripping off pieces of bread and popping them into her mouth then ripping open a bar of some sort and digging into it. She reminded me of someone...she may look totally different but her character seemed so similar, now I understand what Paul meant by the Walking Dead reference. She was their very own Clementine.

As Macey turned her attention to Red I looked over at Felix, staring into those blue eyes and wondering what had caused them to become so dull.

“Never leave Scott to stitch me up again,” I whispered, allowing a small smile to creep across my lips as he turned to me. He frowned for a second before wiping away whatever was worrying him and giving me a grin.

“I can’t make any promises,” he replied. A sigh escaped my lips. I was glad to have him back, glad to have the normal Pewds back.

“What happened, Cry?” he asked, his eyes flashing to my leg then back to my face...my exposed face.

“This is where I entered the simulation, in that warehouse. I was only here a few minutes before the bandits found me. There are a few rooms beneath the warehouse, sort of like a basement, and they locked me up in there. Then, when you guys arrived, they opened the door and I tried to make a run for it but...that happened.” I pointed to my leg and shrugged, trying not to worry him anymore than I already had. “Anyway, what about you? Where did you find Macey?”

“I entered into her house and she found me. Her dad knew about this place, tried to get some food with her sister but...they didn’t come back. Cry...that town over there, it’s filled with dead corpses, filled with starving bodies, barely alive. You can’t imagine what I’ve seen today.”

I turned back, staring across the fields and towards the quaint little town a few miles away. From here, it looks peaceful, serene, safe...

“Shit,” I whispered, trying not to dwell on the scenes he’d explained. I looked back at Felix when he grabbed my arm, staring straight into my eyes.

“Cry...they created Macey. Paul and Anna created that poor little girl for one reason; to put her through hell. She was starving when I found her...this isn’t right. Them bastards enjoy making their little creations, making them jump through hoops for them. This is what they do, this is what they’ve done to us and...”