Chapter Thirty Three

Everything is blurry. I ran into the ICU, the fastest I can.

No he cannot die. Dad can't just die.

"Mom!" I hysterically shouted, hugging her. She was crying too as she looked at daddy.

Dad has a lot of tubes attached to him. He was asleep or unconscious. I do not know.

"H-he had another attack today...a-and it was a bad one...t-they said he'll not last t-that long." Mom cried her heart out. I hugged her as tears flow down my eyes too.

"He had an attack last night. I thought he died already...Your uncle is doing something about it. H-he is trying his best b-but your dad's body...he is not responding that well...and I'm afraid..."

"Shh. Mom please. It will be okay. He will survive this. He cannot leave us."

Mom looked straight to my back, she saw Vince, giving him a small smile. Vince in return smiled back at her. "Everything will be okay mom." He said.

"Can we talk in private?" Mom asked me. I looked at Vince and he nodded at me.

"I'll buy you food." He said, leaving us.

Mom and I settled on the chairs in front of the ICU. She wasn't at ease.

I held her hand, causing her to look at me. She sniffed, and inhaled, like she was about to confess something.

She is making me nervous.

"Monique, darling... I know this shouldn't concern you but I guess we needed to tell you now..."

My heart beats faster. It was a prolonged agony.

"What is it mom?" I softly asked.

"Your dad...he invested his retirement pay to a business. It earned at first, he thought he had trusted business partners. H-he gave one fourth of his retirement at first, then one half...until he invests it all..."

"It earned. Almost returning 20 percent of its investment yearly for three years...and now he got it all in..."

She sobbed, and somehow I knew where it was going... "The business, it was a scam. They put up a company in his name, he agreed to that, then, during his first heart attack, he knew the business had overflowing debts, and his business partners eloped."

"I didn't knew he invests it all. And we paid half of the debt already..." She sobbed.

"But the other half...it was already impossible. I used my retirement pay, the house is on loan, even our cars..."

"And yesterday...the banker went in, telling us he had to repossess the house when we cannot pay."

"It caused this. His second attack." Mom sighed and smile a little. "We cannot afford his stay here Monique. We had no money. Your uncle was willing to help, but not in the long run, they had their families too."

I hugged mom tight. "I'm here. I have savings mom. We will figure this out okay? Don't worry about it." I said, wiping her tears away. "I will find a way. I will find a way. Don't stress yourself out. I don't want you to be sick too. I cannot afford it anymore.

She nodded at me and hugged me. "Thank you my princess. Sorry if mom and dad failed you."

"You never did mom. You provided me everything. It's time for payback."