Happiness

Chandini landed right in my arms, and I quickly wrapped my arms around her shoulders

Then a shot rang through the air.

Chandini planted her face deeper into my chest as a scream burst from her throat. The cop shot Rohit when he caught him raising his gun towards us.

He groaned, dropping his grip on the gun and clutching his hand as blood poured out of it. The weapon dropped to the ground, and cops tackled him into their force. Forcing him on his knees and cuffing his hands behind him, one of the cops knocked his head into the ground when Rohit raised his head towards us.

I set my eyes on the sobbing woman in my arms and saw that her breath was coming in faster and faster, almost like she was going into hyperventilation.

"Hey, baby? Chandini, listen to me; everything is fine, okay?" I cradled her face. Pushing her hair out of her face, I forced her to look me in the eyes. Fearful of all that had transpired in the past few days, her eyes were swollen and red. "Baby takes deep breaths. Inhale deeply and slowly; you and everything are going to be alright."

She gave me a quick nod, started breathing deeply, and I gave her a back rub in an attempt to help her become calm and relaxed.

Chandini had calmed down by the time Rahul and Sumit approached us. After I assisted her in standing, they both gave her a strong hug. Rahul had tears streaming down his face, and Sumit sniffed softly. Despite the circumstances, I could not help but smile at what I saw—it was a sweet and endearing moment between them. Since they both saw her as their sister, her disappearance also had an impact on them. They have been searching for her nonstop for the last four days, not getting a wink of sleep during that time.

"Are you alright? Did he hurt you or anything?" Rahul drew away from her in a panic, checking Chandini for wounds. 

Wiping and sniffing slightly, Sumit spoke in a rage. then gave the cops a glare as they took Rohit. "Deewar me chunwa dunga isse. Meri bhen ko hath kese lagaya, maar dalunga—"

(I will get him bricked into the wall. He touched my sister, and I will kill him. How dare he.)

"I am fine. Yes, I am. And these are just bruises; they will heal in no time." She interrupted him and turned to look at me. Her eyes were tearing up from crying, as was her nose, and her entire face was red. "Rudra, we need to go to the hospital to make sure the baby is okay. I was having pain low in my belly—"

And before she could finish speaking, I grabbed her in my arms and rushed to the car.

She laid her head on my chest, and I kissed her forehead. I yearned for the sensation of holding her back in my arms, secure and sound. And now I feel whole with her close to me.

______________________________________

"Mrs. Kapoor, there is nothing to worry about; your baby is healthy and doing fine. It is common to experience unexpected pain during pregnancy. Additionally, remember what I have already said: try to avoid unnecessary stress, eat well, and maintain your happiness. If you keep yourself happy, your baby will feel the same way." The doctor said, smiling warmly at Chandini before glancing at me.