⁕12⁕

When I was finished, Chandini looked at me as if she had seen a ghost

When I was finished, Chandini looked at me as if she had seen a ghost. Her eyes widened in... panic? When her brother said something, she got up from the couch.

"Follow me." I followed her into the room.

She went inside first, then I came in and locked the door behind me. When she heard the sound of the lock, she turned around.

"Why did you lock the door? Please open it," she said in a panic. Why does she always get nervous in closed rooms?

"I wanted to say—" I stopped when she took a step towards the door.

"No! Please, Rudra, unlock the door first."

This was the first time she said my name, and I am not pleased with the situation in which it was used. I noticed she was sweating profusely, her hands shaking, and her trembling.

"Okay! okay!" I said, as I unlocked the door but kept it closed. She then opened the windows and took several deep breaths.

"What exactly did you want to talk about?"

She now appeared to be calm and ready to speak. I took a step forward, but she stepped back.

"Do not move." I said, and her movements halted.

I reached out my hand and gently clasped her cheek, but she flinched. "You said something on the phone?" I asked.

"Well, I said a lot of things. What are you talking about in particular?" she said, gradually leaning back from my touch. I tightened my grip on her, preventing her from moving back.

"Where you used some fantastic words." The realisation struck her.

"I... you... uh... um..." Oh, she is now at a loss for words.

"Do not worry, darling; perhaps you do not remember, and I am just here to remind you."

She was staring at me with wide eyes, almost trembling against my hold. I moved my hand down slowly, wrapping my fingers around her throat and my thumb stroking her delicate skin.

"Shitty person, moron, and what was the other name you gave me? Oh, a piece of crap." With each word, I reminded her and tightened my hold on her, but lose enough for her to breathe.

She grabbed my hand tightly and dug her nails into my skin, tears running down her face.

"You don't—" I was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Chandini, your brother, and the Kapoors are all waiting," said her friend.

"We are coming," I said, loosening my hold. Her footsteps faded after I heard an okay from her friend.

"As I was saying, you do not talk to me like that again. This would be your first and last time; remember that." I said as I rubbed my thumb under her ear. She nodded and took a few deep breaths.