⁕46⁕

***trigger warning***
-Mentions of child abuse-

I squinted open my eyes but closed them immediately

I squinted open my eyes but closed them immediately. The bright sunlight almost blinded me, but the chirping of the birds was comforting, as were the slow and steady breaths of the woman, sleeping next to me.

When I tried to shift on my stomach but could not as my arm was under Chandini's head, and removing my arm meant disturbing her sleep. So instead I turned to her side and pulled her to my chest.

A sigh leaves her lips as she nuzzles her face in my neck, her arms around my waist and she slips her thigh between mine. I remove her hair from her face.

She is so gorgeous. So precious.

And this woman is my wife. Mine.

My phone pinged with a notification. I sighed, as it was too early for someone to be texting me, but I slowly removed her arm and carefully pulled mine from under her head. I got up to my feet and checked my phone.

It was Rahul.

Dumbass: They were arrested, yesterday night. Their children will testify against them, along with Samay. But we still need Chandini's statements.
Bye❤️

I nodded reading his text and cringed at the heart emoji from him. Ew!

I noticed it was half past six in the morning, too early to go to the police station, but I was glad to hear the news.

Then I went to take a quick shower and get ready for the day. I will work in the office for some time.

I walked out of the closet and picked up my watch and wallet from the side table. Chandini stirred in sleep and slowly opened her eyes.

"You are leaving?" she mumbled sleepily and I sat beside her on the bed, stroking her hair.

"Wait, I will come with you, to help you." She again mumbles but turns around and closes her eyes.

I chuckled and said. "No, darling, go back to sleep and I promise, I will be back soon."

She nodded and I leaned to peck her forehead before she closed her eyes.

I waited till her breathing turned soft, a sign that she had fallen into a deep slumber and then I left for my office.

•*•~•*•

It has been a while since I reached the office and did some pending work.

A smile appeared on my face as I thought of Chandini. I looked at the photo frame of her kept on my desk, and took it in my hands.

It was a photo given by Muktha, from the day of the party. Her face was glowing and she looked stunning in that green saree.

But my smile vanished when I remembered, what I'd been up to these last days and I do not think she would appreciate me, doing exactly what she told me not to.