⁕58⁕

I checked my phone and the day was about to end, as was his birthday

I checked my phone and the day was about to end, as was his birthday. I have to do something, even if it is small. But something.

Without making any sound, I stood up and went towards the kitchen area to look for something but there was nothing. I expected that.

I looked at his sleeping figure, a frown etched on his face as he clutched the blanket tightly. Crying nonstop had taken a toll on him, and he fell asleep about three hours ago.

I jumped in fright as I heard a rumbling sound, but I realised it was my stomach. I had not eaten anything the whole day, and from the looks of it, he had not as well.

"Rudra..." I lightly shook his shoulder to wake him up.

He groaned and slowly opened his eyes; they were still red.

"We should go home," I said in a low tone.

He nodded his head and began to put on his shoes while I collected everything.

I took the wheel and we set off to home. The drive was a silent one, with me peeking at Rudra from time to time as he had not spoken anything for a long time.

It does not feel good to see him so quiet and just staring ahead.

I sighed and extended my hand to hold his. He quickly intertwined our palms and I placed a small kiss on the back of his hand.

He was playing with my fingers and bangles and kept brushing his fingers against mine. His thumb stroked my palm, making some patterns. It is kind of difficult to drive with one hand, but I will have to make it work and get us home safely.

I looked in the side mirror and noticed a black Jeep behind us. This car had been behind us ever since we left the cottage.

I glanced at Rudra to see if he noticed but he seemed to be in deep thought. I looked at the car again and sighed in relief when it took a turn to the right, disappearing.

I ignored the dreadful feeling. My stomach again made a loud sound, and he chuckled, making me smile.

"There is..." He cleared his throat. "...a small diner just around the corner. We can have something to eat there."

I nodded, passing him a grateful smile, and he chuckled. I felt like I might pass away from starvation.

I could feel my mouth watering the moment I stepped inside the diner. The aroma of spices made me more ravenous. We sat in the back corner and I quickly started to look for what to order.

An old lady came to take our orders, and before I could say anything, Rudra spoke.

"We will have a serving of everything."

The granny and I had the same look of shock; she quickly nodded and went to prepare for it.

"Who is going to eat so much food?" I asked.