⁕76⁕

I felt my heart stop as he continued to take off his mask

I felt my heart stop as he continued to take off his mask. I could never have imagined, not even in my wildest dreams, that one of the most important people in my life would harm me in this way.

The man I considered to be my best friend. The man who was with me at every difficult phase of my life. The man who claimed to care for me was the one who abducted me.

Rohit.

At first, the shock was so strong that I could not believe what I was seeing. And I just sat there, motionless, staring at the sitting figure in front of me.

There was something different about the way he looked at me. And it was not like he used to. I was used to him looking at me with caring and respectful eyes—a kind of familiarity between us. But, right now, as his eyes flickered over me, I sensed a sense of possession.

I grimaced as his fingers touched my cheeks again, but I dared not move. Because his other hand was close to the weapon on the floor between us.

When he spoke, I flinched and jerked away from his touch. "The soup is getting cold, sweetheart. You should —"

"All right, so you want to act like you did not just kidnap me?" I snapped, despite knowing I should not say anything. But what he said made no sense to me. "Why would you do this, Rohit? Is this some kind of damn joke? If it is, it is not funny, okay? Let me leave." I pushed the tray aside and got up, walking towards the door.

As I got closer to the door, my heart began to race. I twisted the handle around, but it was locked. I slowly turned around to see him sitting in the same spot, his back to me. "Unlock the door, Rohit. I need to return; everyone is probably worried and looking for me. You have gone too far with your idiotic behaviour. Rudra must be extremely concerned about me. I have to return to him now. I need to tell Rudra I am fine—"

"Quit talking about him! Stop taking his fucking name."

His voice bellowed, scaring the life out of me. It happened very quickly—he turned and hurled the water bottle in my direction.

He failed to hit. But I wouldn't. I threw the bottle at him. It collides with his chest, and he gives me a furious look.

"Stop screaming!"

I replied calmly and gulped hard, as I became increasingly terrified. He gets to his feet and slowly approaches me, while I try to push myself through the door, which has become a damn habit. He pauses in front of me and extends his hand to my face. And I got a little uncomfortable when he started to smile at me while softly petting my cheeks and tucking my hair behind my ears.

His smile held warmth, and it used to soothe me when I was free of Aditya. However, this is a spiteful smile, and he looks like Aditya right now.

Not because I wanted to, but because my body would not move, I stayed frozen in place. I closed my eyes, taking a shuddering breath, and my heart raced at an alarming rate when I felt him breathing near me. His breath was on my cheek, making my skin crawl.