56. Lost In The Flames

。ₓ ू ₒ ु ˚ ू ₒ ु ₓ。

。ₓ ू ₒ ु ˚ ू ₒ ु ₓ。

Jeonghan dashed down the hospital hallway, with Ara close behind, her hand pressed against her forehead where the wound continued to bleed profusely.

Nevertheless, she had no regrets for her actions. She was determined to do whatever it took to ensure Jeonghan wouldn't end up behind bars. 

If anyone were to be responsible for Jungkook's death, she knew it would undoubtedly be her.

As Jeonghan swung open the door, tears welled in his eyes at the sight of Soomin awake. Her gaze fixed on the window, she didn't turn to acknowledge her brother's presence.

Ara concluded that it was best to tend to her wounds before her mother saw her in such a state. 

She dreaded the inevitable conversation where she would have to explain how her car ended up completely destroyed in the middle of the road.

"Soomin..." Jeonghan's voice trailed off, a sob escaping his lips. 

Without hesitation, he rushed to her side, dropping to his knees in front of her and gently taking her small hand in his.

"My princess," he continued to sob, his hand tenderly caressing her hair as she finally turned her face towards him.

The room fell into an eerie silence, with only Ara's mom present, as her father attended to her hospitalization.

As Soomin's gaze met Jeonghan's teary eyes, she felt a surge of emotion welling up inside her, and tears brimmed in her own eyes, cascading down her cheeks. 

Seeing her state, Jeonghan's heart clenched painfully, and he instinctively moved closer to her, his own eyes moist with tears.

"Shh, it's okay, Soomin," he murmured softly, his voice filled with tenderness and love. "I'm here with you, baby. You're safe now. Don't be afraid."

Ara's mother couldn't hold back her own tears as she witnessed the heartbreaking scene unfolding before her. Silent sobs escaped her lips as she watched these children, so vulnerable yet so resilient, clinging to each other.

"Why did you save me?" Soomin barely managed to whisper, her voice devoid of any strength. Jeonghan's expression froze, a knot forming in his throat at her words.

"Soomin, how could I let you do this to yourself?" Jeonghan's voice quivered as he spoke, his eyes brimming with tears. "I'm so sorry, baby. I wasn't there for you when you needed me the most. It's all my fault."

"But please, don't do this to yourself," he implored, his voice laced with urgency. "You're so young and beautiful, with your whole life ahead of you. There's so much more for you to experience, to feel."