6. Ready to break you

.⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅.

A collection of shots awaited Ara, meticulously arranged by Dokyeom under Jeonghan's directive. Yet, Ara hesitated to draw near. While the complexities of her fractured relationship with her mother loomed heavily, she was hardly one to seek solace in the numbing embrace of alcohol.

"Why won't she have a drink, for fuck's sake?" Jeonghan muttered, his gaze unwaveringly fixed on Ara from the moment she'd stepped into the party.

He runs his fingers through his hair and exhales a frustrated sigh. His strategy is poised on a knife's edge if Ara persists in avoiding the drinks.

"I've got this," Mingyu assures, rising from his seat and striding toward the pair of girls.

Approaching the duo on the dance floor, where Yerin was in full swing while Ara seemed gently coerced by her excited friend, Mingyu summoned his most innocent expression.

"Hey, ladies, enjoying yourselves?" he inquires, projecting his voice slightly to overcome the blaring music.

Ara remained silent, her thoughts hidden, but Yerin radiated an exuberance that knew no bounds. Mingyu, the boy she had developed feelings for over an extended period, was now engaging her in conversation—a realization that sent ripples of euphoria through her.

"We definitely are!" Yerin's response is swift and brimming with enthusiasm. Mingyu's smile warms toward her before shifting swiftly to Ara. His next words are directed at her: "Let me get you some drinks."

"No, thank you. Drinking isn't really our thing," Ara asserts, taking the initiative.

Mingyu responds promptly, "What's a party without a bit of drink? Come on now," he quips, a chuckle underscoring his words.

The two girls share a fleeting glance, and in that instant, Ara comprehends that Yerin's agreement is driven solely by the fact that Mingyu is the one extending the invitation.

"Uhm, a slight drink wouldn't do any harm," Yerin affirms with a smile, while Mingyu's lips curve into a subtle smirk.

Ara let out a sigh. She was reluctant to drink, as she was uncertain about her limits, but seeing her friend in such high spirits, her heart wouldn't allow her to decline.

Mingyu guides them toward the bar, and the moment his back is turned to the girls, he locks eyes with Jeonghan and slyly winks. Jeonghan, catching the gesture, responds with an immediate and knowing smirk.

Presenting them with shots of vodka, Yerin promptly accepts the offered shot of vodka, while Ara discreetly sidesteps the offer. The pungent aroma of the alcohol causes her to cringe inwardly, but she endures it for the sake of her friend.