5. Cruel Intentions

ₓ˚

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓ

"Mom, I'm back!" Ara announced as she kicked off her shoes, a sense of relief evident in her voice.

Her mother emerged from the kitchen, still dressed in her work attire. It was clear she had just returned home. "Why so late?" she inquired, a touch of annoyance coloring her tone. "I told you not to stay out so long. Riding a motorcycle at night isn't safe," her mother scolded.

Ara couldn't help but be amused by her mother's concern. With a mischievous smile, she countered, "On the contrary, Mom. Nights are the best time to hit the road."

Her mother let out a resigned sigh. She was well aware that there was little she could do to deter her daughter from her passion for motorcycles. At times, it seemed to her that Ara cherished her motorcycle even more than anything else.

"Alright, come on," her mother gestured for Ara to join her in the living room. "I mentioned this morning that we need to have a serious talk," her mother began, her tone tinged with hesitance.

"Yes, Mrs. Kim, I'm on my way!" Ara chimed in playfully. However, noticing the gravity in her mother's expression, her brows furrowed in concern.

Taking a seat beside her on the sofa, Ara sensed the weight of the silence and decided to break it. "So, what's on your mind? What do you want to talk to me about?" she inquired with genuine curiosity.

Her mother sighed once more, her expression a mix of emotions. After a brief silence, she finally spoke, her words carrying a weight of their own. "Ara, I've made a decision. I'm getting married."

Ara's countenance dropped entirely, a look of utter surprise overtaking her features. The news of her mother's impending marriage was clearly not what she had anticipated. The expression on Ara's face left an indelible impression, etching her feelings onto her mother's memory.

"What do you mean?" Ara's voice trembled as she posed the question, her hurt and sense of betrayal palpable. "Mom, are you... Are you in a relationship with someone?" she inquired, her voice a mix of pain and disbelief.

Her mother's slow nod confirmed the truth, causing Ara to shut her eyes in an attempt to process the reality she was confronted with. The news was beyond her expectations, and while her mother's pursuit of happiness wasn't the issue, Ara was deeply troubled by the fact that her mother had kept this significant development hidden from her.

Swiftly rising from the couch, Ara's feelings of frustration and confusion drove her to her feet.

"Ara," her mother stammered, reaching out to catch her hand, but Ara's response was anything but receptive. She forcefully pulled her hand away, the tension between them palpable.

"I'm staying at Yerin's tonight," Ara announced curtly, her tone laced with anger. She continued without sparing her mother a glance, "And I'll be doing the same tomorrow night because of the party I mentioned." With that, she turned away from her mother, who sat there with tear-filled eyes.