Reconcile?

They were all told to wait so Sky could be resuscitated. It took a couple of hours. Rain, Payu and Gun were sitting down for most of it but they dared not leave for fear that they would hear bad news. Pai was frozen like a statue. He didn't even know that he had stood for close to three hours. Occasionally he would pace back and forth but he remained insistent on seeing this to the end, he wanted to see Sky, to know he was fine, to know that everything was alright. He had a thought that Sky won't forgive him but he would still just beg. At this point nothing mattered to him, absolutely nothing. Gun saw this and initially cursed Pai in his mind, but seeing his body movement, the hands clasped together as if to pray. He didn't know what to think any more. He thought Pai came because he was feeling guilty about Sky but seeing him now. He guessed it, Pai was also as much in love with Sky as Sky was with him. Something broke inside Gun. The fact that a little misunderstanding could hurt someone so much. Gun turned to Rain who sat by the bench and asked him
" What actually happened that night?"
Rain narrated it all and how rough they looked.
" You do know that Sky and Payu are like the most noble and honest bunch I know. You couldn't give them the benefit of  doubt one time?".
Pai listened to this as he was close to them.
" All the signs pointed to it. My insecurities and fears got the better of me. I really didn't think anything happened. When Payu mentioned that Sky was in the hospital. I thought it was because of the heartbreak. Hearing Pai mention he was dead made me quiver. That was when I knew I messed up. I would have let them explain but my jealousy and rage got the better of me." He turned to Payu who was absentminded. Payu for this particular time only thought of Sky and Gun finally explained to Rain and Pai " if you wanted to know you should have asked. I'm pretty sure you both know what Payu, Sky and I do for a living. It was all we knew about life and all they knew too. Payu's only friend was Sky and they never had anyone else to call friend. They took both of them together to the training camp when they were twelve." Pai went to join them on the bench to hear what Gun was saying properly. If he was going to understand Sky, he needed to know everything about him.
" Payu didn't become friends with him thinking he would die at any time but they relied on each other like a support system. That was where I came in. The one who they had to protect. I was the weakest link but they would kill thing and anyone for my sake. Sky grew feelings but it didn't last after he was turned down because someone was already in front of him, which is you. So I don't understand what would cause you not to believe Sky. Yes his job was really nasty but that doesn't mean he didn't have you at heart.
That night, I sent them a memo that Taytie's men were coming for the both of you. They were to eliminate you and Rain because Payu and Sky defied him by picking the two of you over a company they had worked for so many years. This angered him and that was what happened at the island. Their means were unnecessary I know but it would be difficult to tell you what really was going on. Sky would fight for what he believed in. He always did and it showed. Sky wasn't the type of person to give up on life. So what did you tell him? You truly became an important person in his life. Hope you don't take that for granted." Pai kept quiet. Gun was looking at him expecting an answer but he bowed his head. If he told anyone what he had actually said to Sky, he was sure that he would get killed by them. He just bent his head down in shame. A doctor came out and all of them rushed to the her.
" Doctor, how's my friend?"
" He's stable now and if everything goes well, by tomorrow he'll be better. He's truly a fighter."
" Can we see him?" Pai asked impatiently
" Not yet, he'll still be under close supervision all night you can go home."
" No, we'll stay."
She nodded and walked away. They went back to their seats and Pai breathed a breath of relief. He was very happy inside. This news was much better than the one he died. How would he have lived without Sky? He would have blamed himself for the rest of his life non stop.
Just as they were in somewhat of a relieved mode, Payu got a call.
" What's up, Tharn?"
" The boss sent some people to follow you and Gun. They are getting close to the hospital now. Find a way to leave and better deal with them."
" What?" Gun asked noticing the panic in Payu's face.
" I and Gun need to be somewhere, please protect Sky, we'll be back very soon." Gun noticed from his body movement that it was serious and they both left. Payu came back and gave Rain a kiss on his forehead.
" We have a lot to talk about but for now, I just want you to be safe as best you can." Rain who felt shivers. It was clear that despite everything that had happen, Payu's feelings didn't  change towards him at all. Rain nodded. He could tell something was up with his reaction but didn't feel the need to ask anything. Just went with the flow
" If he wakes up, I'll call you. Be safe." Rain said smiling.
" I will " Payu responded. Rain needed to console Pai and keep him company and as well as apologize for the misunderstanding that almost caused Sky's life. It was midnight already. Pai was really tired as he kept yawning.
" It will be best if you slept in the car. If we stay here they might eventually tell us to leave."
" I don't think I want to leave his side."
" You won't be leaving his side, just momentarily taking a rest. I know lately that my decisions have been a cause for concern but trust me, I mean it this time. Please. You might end up falling sick before seeing Sky and you'll need all the strength in the world to say all that's in your heart and listen to Sky too." It took more persuasion before Pai left with Rain. Rain said he needed to use the restroom and Pai should go and he'll meet him shortly. Pai got to the car. He felt so numb. It was a mix of emotions and all of these emotions overwhelmed him all at once. But the major one was regret. Regret that he could tell the one he loved that he should die, was he so upset? Nothing justified that , absolutely nothing. He put both hands on his head and gritted in pain. His head ached. Rain came into the car with a bottle of water and aspirin and handed it over to Pai
" For your headache."
" How do you know?"
" Pai, we've been friends before the breakaway of our friendship so I know. Our teasings and the absolute fun we used to have when we were together. I still remember how I took the blame for ruining your life back then and even now it seems like I'm stills bad omen for you."
" Don't say that! Things got complicated with us really fast and I took a step back." Pai took the medicine from his hand and the water and drank it.
" I didn't really intent to leave." Rain continued.
" But I couldn't bring myself to facing you. And even now, it's still a fog that refuses to clear away." Rain stopped talking
" Can we be friends again?" Pai asked him
" I'm very sure that we can't protect our boyfriends if we are powerless. We could easily crush Taytie's company if we worked together."
"How do we take it down?" Rain asked.
" By joining forces. We've not really been in the best of terms but this is our opportunity. Taytie is the owner of their organization. The one that bought Payu and Sky.  He is the one we need to take down. He only cares about the money they brought in and nothing else. Sky and Payu are nothing to this man and they remain as nothing just instruments that are so powerful that it probably makes him giddy thinking about it. Sky is his asset so is Payu. Learnt this while speaking to him. He feels we came into their lives to ruin business for him and are distractions so he would do anything to get the distractions off."
" If that's the case, do you think he would send them to kill us and they refused that's what's the fuss is about? Because I couldn't think of any other reason why he would go through the lengths he's going." Rain said
" So do we have a deal?" Pai asked
" I think my father would be the happiest with this merger. And to protect the one I love, I'll go just as far."
The die was cast and it would be nearly impossible to go back. They shook hands on it. The aspirin took effect soon and Pai dozed off. Rain followed suit and slept. It was indeed a very long day.

Payu and Gun were well prepared for good confrontation and met with the two men who  were following them. It was an abandoned building which looked very familiar to Payu. It was the building they took him to as a kid when he first met Taytie. Payu had taken the first step but when all the memories came flashing back. He began to hyperventilate. His breathing became heavier and beads of sweat filled his forehead. He ran out. Gun followed behind.
" What's wrong?" Gun asked concerned..
" It's the same building, the one.... I was taken as a child beaten and kidnapped. I don't think I'll be able to fight this battle. And I feel it's an ambush."
" Are you afraid? The great Boss afraid   of a building. I promise I won't bite. I know you're familiar with this place, but won't you want to see my face. It's been ages and I missed you so much. Remember when I brought you here as a child? Good times. I was sent to remind you of where you come from and how worthless you are. Heard you forgot that we picked you from nothing and set you on a pedestal. Top Point my foot. " Two men came out of the building and before they could even shoot Gun shot them. He looked at Payu. " Get your head in the game. They didn't come to play neither did we!" Payu snapped out of it but chose to stay outside.
" And Taytie has promised that if you both escape our claws, he won't send any goons after you again." Payu hearing this cracked his neck and fingers. He held his gun tight, licked his lower lip. He was ready for a fight. The building he was scared to entire looked like a simulation to him. No one had actually seen how good Payu was with a gun because they never lived to tell the tale. In the forest he didn't fight with a gun just his fists because he knew the people he was fighting with and didn't want to hurt them. But here and now he just looked disgusted. He brought the gun out and knew what to do. The man who was talking stayed upstairs. It was a really old building so there were no doors or windows just a large space. It was very dark the only thing that was visible was the gunpowder from the guns. Gun was not one to combat as he loved being in the office space but he was just as good okay maneuvering his way and shooting on target. The man didn't expect to be defeated so easily but seeing he was losing, he knew it was time for him to retreat. He took to his heels seeing the commotion.
" Go, I'll finish it here." Gun assured Payu as he went up the stairs to follow after him. Before he could get to the steps at the back, Payu pointed the gun at his head. He motioned for him to move and he did till they were at the backyard of the building .
" I'm going to ask you one simple question and you'll answer if you don't I'll kill you here and the vultures will feed on you."
" Ask, anything, please I don't want to die."
" You switched up pretty fast. Why did you take me as a child?"
" There was a plan to build the greatest kid soldiers and Taytie wanted the best of the best. He built a website and paid anyone who brought a person to get registered. Your parents were the ones who sold you to us through this website. Telling us where you'll be and how best we could take you. I know you'll also want to know another Sky, but his was quite easy. His mother didn't want him anymore and so the money was easy for her. She heard about it and called for him to be taken. That's the truth." Payu was so disoriented after hearing this that the man was able to escape. Gun saw this and aimed at his head killing him. Rain fell to his knees..
" What P'Payu, what happened?"
" My... My parents, they didn't want me. They threw me away in the streets because of money." Gun stayed with him and consoled him till he was feeling better. He noticed how heavy the burden was and just stayed by his side for the longest time before they went back to Gun's house to change their clothes and clean up. They couldn't return back to the hospital looking the way they did. Payu plopped to the floor out of exhaustion and slept off. Gun let him be and went to his room to sleep. He had belongings of both Sky and Payu as they visited regularly. He even went to the market to get them clothes just to keep in the house in case they didn't have anywhere to go. That was him. His own personality.

The next morning, Payu woke up to a call from the hospital. His heart skipped as he answered.
" Hello, how is my friend?"
" He's awake." Payu got up immediately. He rushed to wake Gun up as they hurried to the hospital. He was desperate and frantic to see him. On getting there. They saw Pai and Rain sleeping and woke them up to tell them the news. Pai ran... He ran like his life depended on this very moment for survival. On getting to the door, he stopped. He didn't know how he was going to face Sky. It had been a week already but his legs got weak. Rain had to physically push him into the room. Sky looked pale. The oxygen mask has been removed from his face. Apart from the stab wound and losing a lot of blood, he suffered from pneumonia so it was a lot to treat.
He smiled seeing Payu and said
" Even in the most difficult of times, you'll still find a way to come through for me."
His eyes turned to everyone in the room and he noticed Pai who was standing right behind Payu. With the most pain gritting voice he said
" I'm so sorry, I tried and failed to die. I know you must be disappointed."