Chapter 26 - The Only Limit Was Her Mind

My eyes shot open before they searched the room. 

Classroom 1-A. I was sitting on Aizawa's desk chair. I must have fallen asleep. 

But what could have woken me up?

I could hear footsteps. They were urgent, quick, swift. 

The footsteps grew louder and louder until they started echoing in the back of my mind. The more I heard, the more my head throbbed. 

I silently got out of the chair and made my way to the door, then hid out of range of the person heading this way. 

He sent another. Any minute now I'd be taken away to that room.

Instantly, Aizawa's classroom faded away. The windows turned black and were filled with shadows that played tricks on my eyes. The desks had disappeared into thin air and the walls seemed to be closing in. The room grew smaller and smaller until it felt like I could barely fit in there. Dust, cobwebs, mist, ripped curtains...it was hard to imagine how any of those fit in the tiny room. 

It hadn't been cleaned in ages and just outside, the footsteps grew louder and louder. Blood pounded in my ears. My heart thudded in my chest. I could hear someone hyperventilating. Someone young. Someone...someone small. Their voice seemed high pitched. 

I turned around to see me, clutching my ears and tears straining down that little face. Bandages wrapped around my arms and legs and feet, some clearly not tied properly as they were loose and falling off. There were red stains on the floor surrounding that younger me, fresh blood still dripping from the loose bandages. I was curled up into a ball and breathing heavily.

I was right there. I was literally watching myself and yet....I could feel every bit of pain, every bit of fear, every heavy breath. 

I saw red. Above the little girl was a wall full of faint, red tally marks. I was never given any materials. I didn't have to think twice to know what that little me used to write those tally marks. The walls were covered with them; there were too many to count. 

My vision blurred and the room, the cobwebs, the little girl....all of them disappeared and was replaced with the classroom door. This must be another test. He never showed mercy. Ever. 

Ever. 

The footsteps came to a stop, then the urgency in the sound lessened and whoever that person was started moving at a slower, calmer pace. 

That poor girl. I would never let that happen again. I wasn't going to suffer like I did all those years back. Instead I was going to fight back.  

The door opened and I lunged for an attack.

The guy's silhouette who walked in didn't hear me...that's what made my attack so deadly. I could easily end this guy right now. But I stopped myself at the very last second because even though I didn't know what the guy looked like...even though I saw red everywhere but the human figure in front of me...I could see that the person who had just walked in had glasses

None of his workers had glasses. That made them too vulnerable. 

So then, who the heck was this guy?

I felt my stomach drop and I instantly felt disgust. I moved back and scratched my nails silently at the wall. My vision began to come into focus, the red background fading away and the person's silhouette started forming colour. 

I blinked. Everything was becoming clear again.

The first thing I noticed about the person was his hair. Short, dark blue hair that was all too familiar.