Ch.21 Queen's Gaze

======================

Many skies away...

A young woman gazes from her window down to civilians roaming the busy streets. Behind her sat a grand brass table holding multiple figurines of different shapes and sizes. They stood on what seemed to be a map of sorts, with chairs stationed around the table.

Cleo: All these people. It's amazing to even think, that not long ago these same streets were plagued by famine, war, and death. Now, the people dance despite the blood-stained stone beneath their feet, as if it never even happened.

Seth: This is what we fought for. Marvelous isn't it? This is peace. This is what we've attained. But your tone doesn't suggest that you're as elated as most.

Cleo: I didn't hear you come in. Thought I was alone. I like to get my melancholy out before bed. Drains you for the next day if you sit with it.

Seth: Your mother's sacrifice weighs heavy?

Cleo: She did her duty, for the greater good, as we all must do.

Seth: Indeed. But do not let such thoughts cloud your ability to fulfill your duties now.

Cleo: It doesn't. The only thing impeding my process right now, is you. I respect you as King, but remember how we got here. Never question my ability.

Seth: Of course, my Queen. I'll leave you to it. Do get some proper rest. Reports from our commanders that the Queen is sleeping in the War Room don't give the best perception of peace.

The man retreated out of the room.

?: Ahem..

Cleo: Charmion. You're early.

Charmion: One of your mother's seekers picked up something. Thought you should see.

She hands her a crystal tablet. It relayed an image overlooking a vast sea.

Cleo: Is that?

She swiped her hand across the tablet in the direction of the table and the image materialized as multiple layered screens all around it. The images showed a great snake thrilled in battle with what looked like floating ants in the sea.

Charmion: The essence signatures aren't native. But even with limiters, they've managed to wound him. This part of the sea is pretty remote, only pirates and explorers. The signatures warranted Iris' alert. She says the signatures looked familiar but she didn't know why.

Cleo: I'll monitor this from here. Give me a scan of what else is in the area.

Charmion: Yes, my Queen.

And Char, keep this between us, for now.

======================