Ch.19 Pirates of Port Sanam (Queen's Nest Saga)

Exiting the portal the three were let out into a town that seemed like a port of sorts

Exiting the portal the three were let out into a town that seemed like a port of sorts. Behind them lay a massive body of water full of ships returning and outgoing. It was attached to a small city whose boardwalk was lined with merchant shops and local restaurants.

Out into the sea lay other islands of the same fashion clustered about the waters. Some were of distinct shapes, others had gigantic monuments, and one almost looked uninhabited, green with vegetation. They could count about five minus the one they were standing on. A few were close enough to have connecting platforms to one another.

Jai: Doesn't look like a nest at all.

Mahl: Guess we'll have to find our way. Probably what he meant by "heavy lifting." Look familiar?

Mihra: No. And the air feels weird here. Heavy.

A White Island of fluffy fur and feathers floated on the sea the myriad of vessels. It dipped into the water ever so often for a few seconds before revealing itself again. Bird-like animals did touch-and-go's off the island, sometimes pulling something out of it. It was fish. Every time the island dropped, it emerged with a fresh batch of bouncing glossy fish.

Only about half the winged creatures were successful in grasping fish. Of that, about a quarter dropped them and didn't motion to retrieve their lost loot. The three observed this for some time puzzled, pondering why they just didn't land and gather a haul in one go.

On the next bob, the island appeared coated in a layer of glossy fish. The swarm of birds emerged to collect their feast once more but before their talons could grasp dinner a shadow casts over the island. From the water with the island emerged glistening wings and a long white-maned neck. Attached to it was a triangular-shaped head with a massive wide-open beak. In one chomp, the beast gulped down its belly of bird and fish-lined fur. It licked its beak and talons then let out a mighty screech before descending back into the sea. The three gazed in wonder at the

masterpiece nature had left for them.

"Children...Children!!"

Knocked from their trance by faint words, they turned their heads puzzled. The voice of a middle-aged man formally addressing them continued to grow as they looked for a face to place it.

"DOWN HERE"

A blue frog with red spots and fins hopped towards them.

Frog: DOOOOOWN HEEEERE. That's right.

Three: Uhhh, us?

Frog: Well yes. Whom else would I be speaking to?

The three continued to stare at the frog blankly. Usually, when this happened they were all trying to figure out which part of this encounter ranked the highest on their "what the fuck" scale.

Mihra: It's the fins for me. I mean you're a frog. Whatcha need those for? This one of yours, Waterboy?

Mahl: Fins? It fucking talks. And in a weird voice at that. Isn't talking animals kinda your Aunt's thing? War Witch?