Ch. 2 The Serene

Strapped to his back, the immature deity lay unconscious, while the tradesman ran. His head sat snug on his savior as he trotted through the damp darkness. In the distance, the humbled hound found its second wind and was in pursuit of the two.
A great door, much like the one that concealed the siphon room, blocked them from above ground level and captivity. Once more with his dominant leg, the tradesman dropped the door. This time, restoring it to its place and bending the hinges to prevent further exit to anyone else. He embraces the fresh air and inhales; wiping his palms with a handkerchief.

Jai: HAAATE using my hands.

Looking upon their new landscape, the Serene provided much more danger than the previous stronghold or what the name implied.  It was a dense forest, shrouded in a cool mist; home to an array of mystic predators. These creatures made the hunters' line of work very lucrative living within the outskirts of The Serene. Because it served as a connection to multiple planes, the Serene found itself to be home to the most unordinary selection of beings seeking refuge.
The Serene is known as a tether, a world between worlds connecting many. It connects the mortal plane of  Earth with the Grand Cities on the divine plane. It also serves as a conduit between the plane of creation and death; The Gardens of Life, and Kingdoms of the Afterlife. 
The massive estate the tradesman had visited, was nestled in the middle of a forest on the outside of the Serene. A road leading to the main city's exchange was the only open path.

Jai: Ahh! She was right. Emptied me clear on the opposite side of the stop. I should keep them on me until I have enough distance to double back without being seen. The stop won't be too far once I get past the estate's view.

He trotted through the dense forest. The mist served as his shroud while eyes of many shapes and sizes gazed upon them. All around, he could hear the distant murmuring of low voices. It served as white noise to keep him alert to the howls of the great hound on his pursuit.

Jai: All this because THEY can't keep it in their pants. Tsh. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I was supposed to look after you, make sure you made it safe. I'll die before anyone lays a finger on you again, Sy. Hmph, or should I say, King.

      Night had fallen, the damp forest temperature had come to a chill. Jai's trot slowed as the tradesman probed his thoughts. Distracted, he could no longer hear the barks of the beast behind him, he realized he had gotten too far ahead. Whizzing past his ear, a fairy taunts him.

Fairy: {SNIFF SNIFF} You smell like a dog!
      (She pointed with her tongue out)
Jai: Rather a dog than a nymph.
      (Nonchalantly)
Fairy: I'm not a nymph! You fucking MUTT!!
Jai: So hostile.
      (He said with a smirk as he continued.)
Jai: And why are you out here by yourself? This mutt could pluck his teeth with you ya know?
Fairy: Are you threatening me?
Jai: Just an observation, but what do I know. I'm just a mutt.
     (Sarcastically showing his teeth)
Fairy: Exactly! Be mindful of that next time you're in the presence of—HEY! Are you listening to me?!

      The tradesman began to stumble as his eyes slid lower. He faintly hears the shouts of the fairy trailing off as the weight of his cargo bore down on him. His vision grew darker with each passing thought of what could be happening. As his vision opaques, his knees buckle and he is immobilized. Falling to the ground, he cushioned the fall for the cargo on his back. He laid unconscious on the ground of the Serene forest. The young god the tradesman had rescued, on top of him, barely clinging to life.
     As he regains consciousness, he can hear the faint screams of the fairy growing louder; echoing as if they were in a cave. His vision still blacked, he lets out a grunt to acknowledge the fairy. As he does, he is met with the pain of scorching needles as it fills his chest and throat.
    In agony, he thought to himself: "What was happening to him? What spell, seal, curse, or poison had he succumb to?"
     His entire body felt both searing hot and sheering cold at the same time. Though he could move, his body had never felt so heavy. Realizing this, he musters the strength to pat the area around him. The terrain was much different, filled with rocks, ash, and dirt. It was definitely a cave, or maybe they were underground? After a few more pats and handfuls of debris, he finds the hand of his unconscious friend he lets out a sigh of relief. To his surprise, the pain of needles in his throat and chest had begun to subside, whatever he had been exposed to was leaving his system.

Fairy: THEY'RE GOING TO KILL YOU!!

     The bellows of the fairy had become loud and clear. He began to move, but not in time to miss the fangs of a large beast sink into his right calf. The hunters had found them. Unable to control the urge, he bellows once more in pain, while the beast bore into his leg. This shout wasn't nearly as agonizing to pass as the previous.
     The burning and freezing had completely subsided. Feeling for anything nearby, he grabs a boulder and smashes it on top of the beast's head. Infuriated, the beast lunges for his neck. Jai gives the beast a powerful knee to the jaw and uses his good arm to clamp the dog's mouth shut. Wrapping his legs around its neck in the shape of a four, he squeezes breathe from the hound.
     Struggling to shake him off, the beast began ramming his head against the walls of the cave. Clinging to the beast and squeezing harder with every ram, the tradesman held tight. Slamming its head repeatedly to the ground in the last effort, the hound strangles the last breath from itself and collapses.
     Panting, Jai begins to regain himself.

?: he's been in our tribe for over a hundred years; I'll skin your face and wear it while I find the rest of your family; after I'm done picking you and this fairy from my teeth you tainted son of a bitch!

     It was the voice of the younger hunter, Minor. Jai could sense his presence but it was much different from before. It was much angrier and wilder. The darkness in his vision had lessened but he was still far from making out shapes. His senses were returning, but not nearly with the urgency he needed. He would again have to rely on his other senses.

Jai: Aye. Nymph. If you're alive, please be my eyes. You kept me alive I'll do the same for you.
Fairy: Whoever you are, you're not just a mutt. As I am royalty, it's your duty to keep me safe, MoreThanMutt.
Jai: Royalty huh? Ok, QUEEN NYMPH.
     (Sarcastically)
Let's get outta here.

#Demi/Ep1/Ch2