Ch. 5 Devils in the Detail

The hunters began their stride toward the transport shelter, preparing to collect their bounty

Hunter 2: I wonder how much the haul'll be. Can't be much if I gotta split it with you two. What's the deal with the target anyway? I get Dumb Dumb over there needing help, but adding me is a bit overkill...Yo! Orion! You listening to me!?

He turned to the first hunter. He was a much cleaner cut gentleman than the others but was the only one who seemed to carry weapons. A golden oval-shaped shield boring the symbol of a sun lay across his back protecting a massive club.

Hunter 1 (Orion) : Do you ever shut up?— Wait, you hear that?

Loud pings began to resonate from the station. The pings pulsed while the broken beacon half beamed light from its tip, as it lay on its side.

Hunter 2: Sounds like a beacon. Maybe a late bloomer from earlier festivities

Jai: He--Heyyyyyy!

Orion: Hmm?

Hunter 2: Fuck is that kid?

As they approached the transport shelter, a young man came running their way with his arms flailing. Clothes tattered with patched wounds, he came darting towards them in fear.

Jai: Don't go any closer. This place isn't safe for civilians.

Orion: We're far from civilians. And you are?

Jai: Excuse me then, whoever you are. That thing; you don't wanna go near it. Was a bitch to subdue.

Orion: And, just who are you?

Orion questioned the boy once more. He had a familiar face but he couldn't piece why.  The boy was in rough shape, but cleaned up he could reside in a family of high rank.

Jai: Hunter in training. Was heading in for a trade when I got a massive read on some big energy. Got in way too over my head with that one. Lucky I had some special tools but I'm not sure how long they'll last.

Orion tilted his head and stroked his chiseled chin. He looked the boy up and down then tucked his mouth to the left. It created a dimple in his left cheek. He turned to the large hunter.

Orion: Scan him.

With his back turned, the larger hunter rotated his neck 180 degrees placing one eye on Jai. As he did so, it slowly extended from its socket and focused like a camera lens. After a few seconds, the eye retracted and he shook his head.

Hunter 3: No data. Irregular.

There was a brief silence as Orion pondered.

Orion: How long have you been training?

Jai: Last cycle. But off recommendation. So they fast-tracked me. Look, is it just you three or--?

Taking the boy's line of questioning as contempt, the shorter stubble-faced hunter cut him off. He had a distinct rounded nose that flattened completely at the tip. His permanent grimace morphed to a sadistic smile hearing the words of the boy. The more Jai embellished the strength of their target and the danger, the higher the hunter's excitement seemed to rise.