Chapter 44

Lloyd's pov

Everything around me was a blinding white.

I couldn't see, I couldn't hear—
Every sense around me seemed to have...disappeared.

My head flared with pain and fire, but I couldn't seem to grab onto anything.

I couldn't see—anything.

I heaved for air in panic, wildly looking around the darkness around me.

That's when I heard a voice.

"Darkness can be...suffocating isn't it?", a woman's voice echoed around me.

I blinked, and in the darkness, stood a woman.

Her face was hard to see, but I could see her figure through the shrouded light around her. She walked forward, her every step suddenly helping me to see better.

My ragged breathing calmed into slow, steady inhales.

The woman smiled, as if feeling my relief for air.

"I know how uncomfortable dark spaces can be", her sweet, soothing voice calmed me further,"I'm surrounded by it almost everyday."

"Who are you?", I asked, but my voice sounded drained, as if I hadn't hydrated myself for years.

She kept on walking, staring into the darkness ahead.

I followed after her, my mind whirring with heaviness.

"What...what is this place?", I asked her.

She turned to face me, and flashed a bright smile, a stark contrast to the darkness around us. It would've been creepy, but something about the woman made me feel....calm and at place from this mysterious dark void.

"Well, its pure darkness if you can't tell", the woman laughed good-naturally , the sound ringing and echoing around us.

She set her dark blue eyes onto me again and sighed," Darkness isn't always what it seems, son of Garmadon."

My eyes widened. How did she-

"I know who you are, Lloyd", she said softly,"I know you were always taught to fight the darkness and the forces of evil who threaten to destroy Ninjago...but have you defeated it?"

I stared at the darkness, my mind wandering to the times I would scream at night from the nightmares, or when I was a little kid who wandered in the streets after running away from Darkleys in the middle of the night. The Overlord's cloud of ever longing hate and longing to succumb Ninjago into everlasting darkness...

"Hmm...", the woman hummed, which made me jump out of my thoughts in shock,"You have had a rather dark past...have you not?"

"I'm sorry but are you reading my mind?", I asked, my eyes wide in disbelief.

The mysterious woman smirked," I don't have to, Green Ninja....I've seen all." She smiled at me, her auburn hair flowing around her face.

I tilted my head, confused.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I've been watching you for a long time, Lloyd Garmadon", she continued, her white dress flowing and glowing brightly," I know you've faced too much a hero like you can possibly achieve but...I fear the worst has yet to come." Her lower lip quivered, her aura suddenly dull. My heart hammered.