Chapter 10

Lloyd'd POV

Right when I left Rumi's room, I rushed to my own, slamming the door behind me. I stood there, chest heaving. What just happened?

One minute we were just fine, talking as usual, and, suddenly, I felt—weird.

Like a static of electricity or something, I don't know!

I hit the back of my head on the door, biting my lip.

It's not like I've never felt that way—it just only happened whenever I was with her. With my chest racing, palms sweaty, the peculiar sensation fluttering in my stomach. And whenever I was ever close to her, just like—right now, I felt it. Though I felt extremely nervous to do it, I just wanted to lean in and—no. I couldn't do that for her. I wanted her to choose—not to force her to choose me just because I was the one who confessed my feelings to her months ago in the Oni Temple. I shook it off. Bad memories.

But whether she would believe me or not—I still had feelings for her.

And ever since the defeat of the Overlord, ever since she stopped being The Quiet One and decided to join us, my feelings were still the same for her, if not, even more so. But I don't want to overwhelm her. We never even had the talk. We just shook everything off and were willing to start off as good friends. Best friends, even. I always felt that there was something more between us, but I was happy enough. If she was happy on how things are between us, then I was more than happy to continue to be that way for her. Forever...

I took a deep breath, shaking myself from my reverie. I sighed, sliding the two of my hands across my face. Time to get moving, I guess.

I grabbed my green duffel bag and shoved my green hoodie and the scroll into it just in case. Just as I hoisted the bag on my shoulder, I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in,"I said, looking around the room in case I had forgotten anything important.

Nya entered the room—oh no. She probably knows that Harumi and I had just eavesdropped her and Jay!

"H-Hey Nya!", I greeted, turning towards my closet. I didn't feel like facing her—afraid that my Oni side may slip. I couldn't hurt her—she was my sister.

There was a long silence, till Nya spoke up.

"Lloyd,"she called in a quiet voice that honestly surprised me. I turned away from my closet to look at her. She looked really nervous—that was the first.

"I know you're really mad at us,"she started,"But I just wanted you to know, that I didn't mean to say it that way—I know she's trying to be a good person."

I faltered.

She took a deep breath before continuing,"I want to trust her too—But I-I can't. Not after what she did to us."

I wanted to feel angry but, surprisingly, I wasn't. She needed me to hear her out. And that's what I was going to do.

She strode closer to me, meeting my eyes. Her eyes were full of sympathy and sadness.

"I know how much she meant to you,"Nya whispered,"When she betrayed us the first time—you were the most broken of us all."

My own eyes burned with tears.

"You cared about her even then", she whispered, placing her hands on my shoulders,"And when she fell—

I looked down, focusing only on trying to avoid the tears stinging at the corner of my eyes. She didn't speak until I took a long, steady breath, slowly looking at her. Her eyes looked glassy.