Chapter 22

Lloyd's POV

For the whole time, I was with Harumi.

I made sure that her pulse, and temperature were stable. I didn't want to leave—I wanted to just stare at her peacefully sleeping. Okay, that just sounded creepy.

I've always wondered, considering Harumi has faced a lot since her childhood, and as The Quiet One, whether she did experience nightmares. I never asked her, but—she did tell me that she dreamt of her parents most of the time.

I still have nightmares. Recently, a lot. I haven't told her anything about that—but I would have nightmares about my—my Oni side.

I shuddered.

I knew I only barely awakened the Oni side inside me, but—I feel it. Getting stronger—and I don't know what to do.

Sometimes, I just dream about my father, The Overlord and...Harumi.

The day the two of us were alone in the canals of Ninjago City...

The day I watched her fall from the building as she stared directly at my eyes...

The day she unmasked herself, the herald to the Crystal King...

The day when I pulled her off the temple, falling with her...

Sometimes I wondered, whether she dreams of me too—

Maybe not as much as I do, but—

I gazed at her, the corners of her mouth turned upwards, a small smile escaping. She sighed, and I completely felt like I was melting just by watching her sound-sleep expression. Until a quiet whimper escaped her lips.

My eyes widened, but I couldn't do anything.

Her face twisted into a face of dread and fear. Another whimper.

"No",she whispered, twisting in the light blue sheet I covered around her,"Don't hurt them—please." She whispered in pain.

Then she screamed,"NO!"

I grabbed her shoulders, shaking her as gently as I could as I swallowed fear.

"NO DON'T HURT HIM, PLEASE!",she continued yelling.

Him?

"Rumi, wake up!", I shouted, shaking her shoulders.

"NO!",she screamed, her eyes shot open, and she jumped upright, eyes wide with terror.

"It's okay!", I said quickly,"You're okay, Rumi!" I hastily assured her.

She gasped, looking around her frantically.

Then, she turned her face to stare at me, and I could see the fear swirling through her eyes. Her eyes widened—and she pulled me forward, tightly gripping me as she buried her head on my shoulder. I hugged her back immediately, rubbing her back in a comforting manner.

I half-expected her to cry, or break down right then and there, considering how much she shook—but—she didn't.

She just—shuddered.

I could hear her heavy breathing, low gasps onto my shoulder, tickling my neck a little. But I just hugged her tighter, trying to calm her down.

After for what seemed like forever, she pulled away, her face pale and gaunt—instead of looking refreshed from her sleep, she looked...weak.

She put a palm on her forehead as if she had a headache and stared at the floor.

"Im sorry you had to see that", she croaked weakly," I..."she faltered, and she stared silently at the floor.