Chapter 40- PART 1

Harumi's POV

I sat at the foot of my bed, my hands on my head, staring at the floor glumly. My sudden outburst made me heave small yet uncontrollably loud gasps, and I tried my best to quiet them down before someone noticed my state.

I gripped my scalp, my hair being tugged down hard mercilessly by me. My hands shook, my breaths now reduced to short hitches of breath.

My eyes felt unbearably warm and I gripped my scalp harder, burying myself in between my knees, trying to drown the panic upscaling my train of thought.

Come on Harumi—you're better than this—why would you break down in the middle of the only people who've shown you mercy?

Why would you snap on the freaking Green Ninja about him giving so many chances when he's given
YOU more than you realise?

My grip on my scalp loosened, and my eyes widened.

Lloyd did give me so many chances...

So why was I stopping him give others the chance that I never deserved?

...What is wrong with me?

An uncontrollable sob spluttered out of my throat, resulting in my hair being pulled even harder.

At that very moment, I felt all alone, once again—and my willpower crumbled.

Kira hasn't even made as much as mistakes as I have—and I told Lloyd that she doesn't deserve forgiveness when it was me who deserves to rot in Krytatrium.

"Harumi?", a voice made me jump from my seat, and I stood up to my feet in a jerk, facing the dresser in panic.

I heaved a deep breath, swallowing,"What do you want, Kane?"

The sounds of his footsteps entering my door paused, the floorboards slightly creaked.

I shut my eyes in annoyance, wiping my eyes hastily as Kane shuffled nervously in the doorway.

His eyes met mine in the reflection of the mirror, his face looking unusual without the prominent glare or scowl—he looked—

Apologetic? Sympathetic?

I narrowed my slightly red-tinged eyes, crossing my arms.

Kane didn't waver from his look, and instead, pursed his lips in contemplation, his bright blue eyes gleaming.

" I just noticed you ran away,"he said," at the banquet during breakfast—"

"Oh so what?", I snapped at him,"I can't come to my room now?" I whipped around, now directly facing his surprisingly nervous figure that almost made me falter. Almost.

He blinked,"uh—no no, that's not what I—" He groaned in frustration and mild annoyance as he rolled his eyes.

"Are—Are you okay?", he said sheepishly, making me blink in confusion.

"I'm doing perfect", I gritted my teeth in retaliation,"Thank you for asking." I smiled humourlessly. My hands curled into fists and I turned away from him, once again facing the dresser.